• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afternoon denizens

Quite Simpsonesque out today, 21°C but not expected to climb higher, barometers up a bit at 1016/1024mB

Comment

Home made sausage roll (out of the freezer); very tasty

Comment

In the Chinese

Comment

HWMBO and I have had a very lovely day out having afternoon tea and cocktails. Now back home having more cocktails.

I may reward him with another episode of Oak Island

edit: he has been been rewarded with Oak Island. On me noticing that there's two episodes left of season 3 and it will end on a off hanger he said, "well we have to watch both then"

Last edited by ladymuck; 12 June 2021, 20:37.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            In the Chinese
            Very nice as always

Busyness status: unknown… and shall never more be known, nor explained with spurious and unlikely reasons, for Janet has retired!

The strange (as in unknown to me, not like aliens or something) people I encountered last week turn out to be the new management, and the new bloke who takes the orders cheerfully informed me when I asked after her that "She'd been here fifteen years and couldn't stand it any more"

I don't think she's actually been there that long; more like twelve or thirteen years I think. Apparently she'll still be working at least some Friday and Saturday nights for a bit longer, but only until 8pm.

So it's the end of an era at the Chinese

I might be able to get something else on a Saturday now. There's a very good Indian takeaway three doors down, and the other Chinese further down still does a few dishes I like that the usual place doesn't. So now Janet won't be there to see me go past with food from these other places and call me a traitor (not that I suppose she would), I can give them a try

Comment

Tonight's first major motion picture premiere was Tenet (2020), the blockbuster time wars thing by that bloke who does the blockbusters about Big Themes. I believe a lot of people weren't very impressed by this one, claiming it was confusing, and I certainly found it so; but films to do with time are always confusing. I'm pretty certain I haven't got everything out of Looper yet despite watching it five or six times, and I've only watched Predestination a couple of times so I know for sure there's aspects of that I haven't even spotted yet, let alone understood. I rather enjoyed Tenet, but on the understanding that I was never going to be able to follow it properly on one viewing. Once I've watched it a few more times, I might be able to decide whether it's ridiculous and pretentious, or very clever

And the next premiere was First Blood (1982) in which a Vietnam veteran called John Rambo gets picked on by one of those small town sheriff's departments that give policing in the USA such a bad name, and exacts violent, bloody retribution thereon. This is one of those that everybody's seen but I've somehow managed not to for nearly forty years, and I thought it was excellent

Goodnight all

Comment

Originally posted by John Rambo
                Don't push me
                Only another four* to go then.

*Currently, there May Be More.

There is a rumour abroad that Janet retired coz of this chap that kept on asking how busy she was.

Only Time will tell.

Morning.

Dry.

Sunny.

CBS.

19.2 deg in here.

1024 mBar, 30.24 in Hg, 67% RH.

Sunday judging by the emissions of the wireless.

In other news, Strangelove Mater's bequeathed cactus has burst into bloom for the first time in years.

It really needs splitting & repotting since it won't die no matter what I do to it.

<hiatus>

Sunday shopping trip to Tesco & Morrisons done, dusted, washed, dried, sanitised and put away.

Car seems to be playing up. Probably time to scrap it.

Lunch: roast chicken thighs and sausage, a couple of yogs, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment:

BTC Championship: dunno any of them.

Columbo: "By Dawn's Early Light" with Patrick McGoohan who's about to become A Prisoner.

Casting according to type then.

<hiatus>

Walk walked in the blazing heat. :

Strewth it's warm out there.

The salting house has reached 30 deg C coz the door was locked while I was out.

Two chem trails spotted, plus another Early Purple Orchid.

Now my eye is in I'll be seeing them everywhere.

I was about to cut the hedges but it's just too darn hot.

Tea: Heinz bacon & lentil soup with Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed bread, bramble jelly sandwich x 2 on same, 2. yogs (I forgot to put them in the fridge so they got warm), 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

The sun having moved around, the hedges were duly trimmed and the false dandelions on the front lawn were massacred since they've started to set seed.

The rambler rose next door got some attention from the hedge trimmer in a vain attempt to keep it under control.

The rose bush I threatened with death earlier in the year if it didn't flower has now got two buds on it, which is a distinct first.

It's also gone battulip crazy & is growing like Topsy.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 13 June 2021, 21:14.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

Hot, sunny, fluffy cloud. Currently 24 degrees with a high of 27 later. Barometer up to 1027 mBar.

We're in the First lounge at Heathrow, on our way to Glasgow. Weather there is cloudy, 21 degrees with a high of 22, and moderate chance of rain this evening.

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
                  Aged 77 clarinettist Benny Goodman, known as the 'King of Swing' dies 1986

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Sunny and Simpsonesque out, currently 24°C and aiming for 26°, 1018/1026mB on the barometers which is very slightly up

But the forecast is talking of colder, damper, greyer days to come later in the week, so it may be a little too early to switch duvets

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                      There is a rumour abroad that Janet retired coz of this chap that kept on asking how busy she was.
                      It can't have helped

She did seem much more relaxed and cheerful when I last saw her a couple of weeks ago - she'd seemed very stressed and tired for at least the last couple of months. Presumably she knew by then that her day of release was close at hand

Comment

Working...
                      X