• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Me, weeks ago: "We shouldn't really do it that way, it's against GDS guidelines and it also makes the whole thing vastly more complicated."

It was decided we'd do it that way

Them, today: "We shouldn't really do it that way, it's against GDS guidelines. Can you change it to the other way?"

Me: (but on mute with a mouthful of toast)
    FTFY

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Me, weeks ago: "We shouldn't really do it that way, it's against GDS guidelines and it also makes the whole thing vastly more complicated."

Them, today: "We shouldn't really do it that way, it's against GDS guidelines. Can you change it to the other way?"

Me: (but on mute)
      ah but someone important said it this time!

Its all politics in the end.

Just reading the new "New Blueprint for a successful X ltd" they mention Data 90 times on 48 pages, frequently mentioning the data is poor. As they have spent the last two decades entering the data manually and never verifying it against public sources of data I'm surprised any of the data is right. One word that isn't in the blueprint is responsibility.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Me: (but on mute)
        I would have raised it as a risk "Coding standards are against GDS guidelines and rework may be required in future to ensure compliance" which then gets converted to an issue when the risk of rework is realised.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I would have raised it as a risk "Coding standards are against GDS guidelines and rework may be required in future to ensure compliance" which then gets converted to an issue when the risk of rework is realised.
          except of course the PM promptly deletes that..

been there , done that sadly
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

except of course the PM promptly deletes that..

been there , done that sadly
            Very true. Depends on the system used to track such things. Mostly it's done in a spread sheet with zero traceability so your scenario is sadly what tends to happen.

Comment

Lunch: no time for lunch as I needed to go to the self-storage place and sort out the paperwork. I'll grab another bit of toast shortly

Also, the car's battery was flat

Not sure if it's a parasitic drain that only happens sometimes, in which case it'll be a pain to find, or if it's just from lack of use plus the battery being a touch knackered from previous discharges. But there's no time to deal with it right now

Comment

Just realised I need to drive my car tomorrow morning.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I think the root of the GDS problem was that I didn't realise what a nightmare it would be to implement until it came time to do, and just before that, the designer who'd had the bright idea had moved to another project and another designer who'd had nothing to do with it had just joined. He hadn't yet had time to look over everything, so I don't think he realised what the problem was when I raised it in standup. Everybody else was "Well, we don't have to adhere strictly to GDS because we're not public-facing, and if we change it we really ought to do the user testing all over again, so let's stick with what we've got."

Now, the new designer has picked up on it and is very much against it. But meantime, I implemented everything, and moved on to other stuff, and now have to go back and change it

Still, as I pointed out, I did it so it worked the right way as well as the wrong way, so it's not a huge amount of hassle to disallow the wrong way and leave the right way working. The major nuisance is having to remove a bunch of code that's no longer needed. I did point out that it could just be left there and never do anything, but it was decided it would be better to deal with it now as it would confuse future developers who'd wonder why there was all this code for dealing with a specific circumstance that could never happen

Anyway, I've just finished changing all the unit and integration tests so they fail correctly. Now to fix the damn thing and make them pass…

Comment

The last batch of "do you own this SharePoint site?" emails have been sent. Good response so far and about 50/50 on the migrate vs delete option which is encouraging.

I do hope the BA who is working on the 'landing zone' is properly figuring out the new site structure

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Just realised I need to drive my car tomorrow morning.
                      I need to drive mine too. Supposed to be driving to the airport on Sunday and it would be nice to not be stuck there when I get back.

Comment

Working...
                      X