• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning denizens

Woke up just before half six, so figured I might as well get up

Overnight has seen mainly open skies making it a bit chilly, with some frost on the lean-to roof; but it's a sunny start, up to 2°C at the moment, and heading for 11° later. Mind you, yesterday started sunny then clouded over by mid-morning. Barometer up a bit at 1005/1013mB

Comment

Morning all

Blue sky, dry, sunny. Currently 8 degrees, high of 12 expected. Cloud cover will increase as the day progresses with a chance of rain around the 1700 hour. Barometer up to 1015 mbar.

Absolutely knackered this morning. I have been sleeping heavier and heavier all week, and just not feeling rested when it's time to get up. I have also been waking well before my alarm but, in usual fashion, I don't look at the clock to see what time that is and I manage to doze off again.

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
      Pakistani city 'Nawabshah' sets a global record for an April temperature, recording high of 50.2C / 122.36F 2018

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Friday tomorrow! And apparently it's a Bank Holiday on Monday too
        Ours is tomorrow. So just all shops shut. Next year it'll be on Sunday! However, Mrs NAT works Saturdays normally, so it's giving some benefit.

Cold and damp here. Heavy rain later tonight. Need to nip to the shops for weekend supplies - crisps, chocolate, drink,...

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          And apparently it's a Bank Holiday on Monday too
          The rain is dialled in already.

Morning.

Dry.

Sunny.

Blue sky with white fluffy clouds.

Polleny judging by the amount of sneezing & coughing I've been doing.

16.7 deg in here.

1014 mBar, 29.94 in Hg, 54% RH.

Friday.

The washing frenzy is ongoing.

Smalls in the WM.

Smalls out of the WM and into the TD.

Shirts in the WM.

<hiatus>

Walk walked in the gathering gloom.

Took umbrella so the rain held off until I was 100 yards from home.

Shirts out of the WM and awaiting the TD.

Cottons in the WM on the shirts setting bumped to 60 deg.

<hiatus>

Shirts out of the TD.

Cottons out of the WM & into the TD.

Lunch: scrambled egg and poached tomato on Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed toast, 2 x bramble jelly sandwiches on same (untoasted), red corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Woman's Hour: 20 minutes in: Interview with Betty Webb MBE, one of the last of the Bletchley Park girls, also worked in the Pentagon on Japanese codes after dear old Adolph & Co bit the dust.

Shirts roughly iRoned and airing on the picture rails upstairs.

Entertainment: Engineering Disasters: I now know what column punch through is.

Whod have thunk that using the wrong rebar support (an inch too short) would have such a disasterous result.

Rebar an inch too far away from the surface of the concrete led to disaster: pancaked 5 floors.

Same thing happened in Korea when some numpty added an extra floor to a 4 story shop built on a refuse tip, the tulip happened when some heavy aircon was added to the roof.

Delta Flight 1141.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_...es_Flight_1141

Ooops. Forgot the flaps.

Steamboat Sultana (1865).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultana_(steamboat)

Caused by evil British boilermakers.

Or idiotic ship's captains & "engineers", I'm sure tying down the safety valve didn't help a lot.

Tunnel Fire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotthard_Road_Tunnel

Guadalajara street sewer explosion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_G...ara_explosions

Leaky pipe in refinery.

DC10 over Paris or how not to design a cargo door.

Mine tailings dam failure in Italy: Stava valley.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Val_di_Stava_dam_collapse

New London Skool Explosion, Texas, natural gas explosion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Lo...hool_explosion

And now our very own Torrey Canyon tanker spill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Torrey_Canyon

Or how not to design an autopilot control lever.

Trucking Hell S1 E10: Rory!

Tea: Tesco non chunky breaded haddock, some tinned peaches, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Oh.

Apparently "The Nevers" is appearing on Sky shortly.

Entertainment: "Yesterday's Enterprise" wherein Tasha Yar appears to everyone's Guinan's amazement, while Mr Worf disappears.

DS9: "Time's Orphan" wherein Molly falls through a time portal and gets fetched back 10 years older and wilder.

"Corona: the pandemic" on PBS showing the sources of pandemics.

^^^ This was rather upsetting since it showed a wet market stuffed full of pangolins etc.

The most upsetting shot was the three barn owls in a cage, huddled together.

It was even worse than the dead monkeys since they were still alive awaiting their fate.

So I watched the bonus dvd for "Apolllo 13 (1995)" instead.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 30 April 2021, 22:00.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I omitted to report the following:

Trundling of recycling last night (just lots of boxes folded up and stuffed into one bigger box). This was removed around 0900 and no doubt dumped on the pavement for the more formal collection by the recycling engineers later.

Laundering of a hotch-potch of clothings this morning; it's just on its final spin.

Comment

Another busy day

But I managed to find twenty minutes to nip up the chemist for the monthly prescription

Lunch is a sausage roll and a bag of cheese & onion

Comment

Popped one of those part-baked baguettes in the oven for lunch. Wasn't sure what I was going to put in it as there's not much left in the fridge where I've been running it down ahead of my trip across the border. I have cheese. That'll do.

Comment

This is fun: pick a location, size of bomb and see what effect a nuclear bomb would have.
                  https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

The blog at blog.nuclearsecrecy.com has some interesting stuff in it too. Mostly US focussed but the history and other info makes for a good diversion

Comment

Remembered I was planning to change the bed, so I've just stripped the old bedding off so I can leave it to air for a few hours

Turned rather sunny and Simpsonesque out, though not too warm at 11°C with showers anticipated.

And I remembered, after yet another meeting just after lunch, to pop down and secure us a decent recycling bin

Comment

Oh, and off to Sainsbury's in a bit, once the traffic's calmed down

Comment

Working...
                      X