• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning denizens

Absolutely terrible night's sleep. Couldn't get to sleep to start with, then I think I did lightly and fitfully for a bit before being roused by an attack of cramp in the sole and toes of my right foot at about 3:15, which in the end I could only get rid of by getting up and walking around a bit

Seemed to get off to sleep after that, but then was woken comparatively early by the aroma of the soup in the slow cooker. This kept waking me up, so in the end I got up and went and dealt with that; should be ready for a late lunch, or I might have something else and hold it over for lunch tomorrow, to give the flavours time to settle

Outside it's grey and a bit damp from showers overnight, though they're in hiatus right now; 11°C, 1015/1023mB, and any outstanding rain likely to fizzle out this morning, with a chance of some sunshine this afternoon

And while I was dealing with the soup there's been a phone call from a pimp about a possible gig. It's an agency I've worked with in the past, and a chap there quite often recommends me to his colleagues when they have something in one of my lines. Going to call him back as, looking at what must be the gig on JobServe, it would be a quick start at a good rate and might even be quite enjoyable. I might not be entirely suitable according to the listed requirements, but hey, that's never stopped me in the past

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Morning all

Dull, overcast, damp from overnight drizzle, no active precipitation. Currently 9 degrees ('feels like' 7) and expected to reach 13 later. Evens chance of rain, currently slated for the 1200 and 1600 hours but we'll see. Barometer up to 1025 mBar.

Tired this morning. Need to put more effort into looking for a job too. As HWMBO is coming down at the beginning of April to deliver a course, it's not such a bad thing to have a bit of time off while he's here.

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
      The Ford Motor Company produces its 50 millionth motor vehicle, the 'Thunderbird' 1958
      and they had fun, fun, fun 'till daddy took it away?

Comment

morning
        grey
        damp
        meh
        Tuesday

Comment

Morning.

Dry, as in no precipitation.

Damp, as in it did some precipitating overnight.

Grey, as in it's sunny over by there, but it's not sunny over by 'ere.

Warmish, 17 deg in here.

1028 mBar, 30.36 inHg, 54% RH.

Tuesday.

Strangely knackered today.

Walk walked, but it was a bit of a struggle.

The digging up and resurfacing of the road was postponed from yesterday until tomorrow, whereupon we shall see what transpires.

Noticed some chaps languidly digging up clumps of japanese knotweed in a futile attempt at some sort of control.

Complete & utter waste of time.

It has to be allowed to grow to a foot or so, nuked with chemicals, rinse & repeat for about 5 years or so.

Alternatively get a herd of goats.

That worked pretty well.

<hiatus>

Freecell score: 100%, running average 84%.

Lunch: Heinz leek & potato soup with Morrisons wholemeal sunflower & spelt bread, bramble jelly on Morrisons oak & barley bread, red pippy corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

<hiatus>

More massacring of the brambles, that's more or less it for now.

Fitted a piece of quadrant to the back of the new bench in the tin shed to stop bits disappearing down the back never to be seen again.

Despite measuring twice & cutting once, managed to cut it half an inch too short.

It'll have to do.

Had a halfhearted look in the shed & the garage but decided I really can't be arsed this afternoon.

It's lovely & sunny out there so that's a good reason to be sitting down in here.

David Bowie reference at 7:45 in this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000t417

Tea: Tesco battered haddock (chunky), couple of tinned pears, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

More Interceptors.

John Carpenter's Vampires (1998).

There's no little blonde girl in this one.

Amusing enough in its mildly amusing way.

Disasters Engineered: 500 ton ammunition explosion on Cyprus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evange...Base_explosion

Ooops. Stored in shipping containers in the sun. Double ooops.

Third ooops, not running away.

The Chinese chemical factory explosion: 300 tons.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 16 March 2021, 23:29.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
            Traffic Cops: this one concentrating on bad driving by s.

It reminded me that Strangelove Pater should have stopped driving several years before he ended up in hospital having collapsed outside the back door.

But then again, it never occurred to any of us exactly what was wrong with him.
            My Dad stopped driving after reversing into the garden wall getting the car out of the garage about eighteen months ago. It's a completely straight line from garage to road, so we have no idea how he managed it

I'd had a lift of less than a mile with him a couple of years before, and TBH I'm glad he stopped. It was pretty clear then that he was struggling with it, though of course he was oblivious to the fact.

Comment

Lunch is tomato and basil soup from those New Covent Garden soup people.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

My Dad stopped driving after reversing into the garden wall getting the car out of the garage about eighteen months ago. It's a completely straight line from garage to road, so we have no idea how he managed it

I'd had a lift of less than a mile with him a couple of years before, and TBH I'm glad he stopped. It was pretty clear then that he was struggling with it, though of course he was oblivious to the fact.
                It had the potential to be much worse than that with Strangelove Pater since it turned out he had atrial fibrillation, one of the side effects being loss of consciousness.

He'd passed out sitting on the garden wall one day, ending up flat on his back on my lawn, which, being infested with moss, is like landing on a comfy mattress.

Why none of us figured out how dangerous this was is beyond me.

But there you go.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

The soup has turned out very well, but I've decided to leave it until tomorrow before having a bowl, to let the flavours gel. So lunch has just been a couple of rounds of buttered wholemeal toast

Comment

The forum keeps logging me out.

Lunch ham and cucumber sandwich.

Want crisps but that would involve going to the shop.....
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Colourful towel wash on

Comment

Working...
                      X