• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been a while since I had a Sunday roast, especially on a Sunday, but I managed it today: roast lamb with the usual trimmings

And I noticed in Sainsbury's on Thursday that whole shoulders are back. This was a half-shoulder I got the week before, but I recently discovered a load of already-roasted lamb leftovers at the back of the freezer, so I reckon I can get both Scotch broth and scouse out of the whole lot of it

Comment

Still feeling very tired with this vaccine. If you get a Moderna booster, I recommend clearing your diary for a couple of days afterwards

TV has been a new episode of 24 Hours in A&E. I was idly wondering why they changed the colour of the A and the E on the title from red in the early series to blue. Maybe it's the same shade of blue as the NHS logo?

Anyway, getting a very early night now in the hope of feeling a bit more with it in the morning. I was trying to sort out the code for creating custom 3D models in SceneKit earlier by generating a Möbius strip using some equations I got off Wolfram Alpha, but the complexities of mapping the edges connecting the vertices into a single triangle strip (the most efficient data structure for the graphics hardware) proved too much for my addled brain this afternoon. Naturally, the solution presented itself to me clearly and as a whole a couple of minutes ago, but I'm too tired to implement it now so it's been scribbled down for future reference

Goodnight all

Comment

TFBSZ
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning.

Damp.

Dreary.

Grey.

Sunless.

Gloomy.

Chillier in here at 16.9 deg, 18 deg in the kitchen, 14 deg in the leanto.

1001 mBar, 29.559 in Hg, 750.811 Torr, 14.518 psi, (down from 1010 last night), 73% RH.

Monday.

Telex machine glowing particularly brightly Roy, the light that shines twice as bright lasts half as long, glory in your time.

Managed to sleep until 06:25 this morning, whereupon the dream about being late for a Finals Project Viva involving travelling down The Hill (from Ye Olde Sloughe of Desponde) on some sort of scatebooardy contraption.

Very disturbing.

Much ibuprofen gel employed to relieve the various pains due to the exertions over the weekend.

Oh, look, back in 6th January 2019 I was off down the tip again again. Nothing fecking changes.

Good to hear that Our Rog won't be entertaining the Poles.

Shopping trip to Wilko (washing line & bags for the Orange Vax) and Morrisons done dusted washed dried sanitised & put away.

Going through the discards from next door & endlessly pleased to find stuff addressed to me in the heap including expired Tesco vouchers.

The most satisfying thing is scrunching up all the Tory party crap that next door gets with eager anticipation of fecking burning it all, especially that with the picture of Bunter, the fat toad ex of Downing street,

Lunch: scrambled egg and poached tomato on Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed toasted crust, bramble jelly and marmalade on slices of toast, yellow corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

More crap sorted.

Freecell score: 91%, running average: 85% (84.91%).

Created a list of semiconductors so I have a vague Idea of what's available. There's still another box to go through.

Freecell score: 86%, running average 85%. .

Tea: chicken in white sauce with rice n peas, the last of the fruit cocktail, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Wheeler Dealers S12 E20: clip show. .

The Sweeney S4 E6 "Money money money": chap wins £58k on the pools (remember them?) and gets blackmailed over a job he did 11 years earlier. It doesn't end well for him. It's the ep where George is looking at buying a house: the £14k for the house he was looking at would be worth a small fortune today.

Abandoned engineering S10 E4 "Cowboy Mountain". Amusement park on the top of a mountain. Chinese island once a centre for fishing. Manganese mine in Georgia (not the state, the country where Stalin was born). Nazi tunnels in the Channel Islands.

Oak Island nutjobbery S9 E4 "Spoils Alert": since they're restricted re the swamp, it's full throttle in the money pit.

They find more wood. Pissed off about the halt to work in the swamp. Gary finds a chisel in the spoils area. The stone balls are examined. Gunstones? Said gunstone being olivine or basalt or something. I forget since it wasn't exactly inneresting.

They stuck some rusting bit of crap in the X ray fluorescence machine and found it had Gold in it, Gold I tell Ye! Gold! Found at a depth of 75 feet.

This is so inneresting I've been looking at stuff on ebay.

More wood. Some handcut wood. A cribbing spike.

Next week: they find More Wood. Who'd have thunk?
          Skin A&E

The Sweeney S4 E7 "Bait": you're bait: act baity. Wages (remember when they were paid in cash?) inside jobs. George Sewell as the baddy.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 26 September 2022, 22:58.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning denizens

So much for getting a good night's sleep. Instead, and despite feeling so utterly knackered, I kept waking or half waking and then woke up fully around four nd didn't manage to get back to even somewhat broken sleep for absolutely ages

On the bright side, although I'm still feeling very tired, I think it's less the vaccine side effects and more lack of proper sleep

Sunnyish start but with a fair bit of cloud about and showers from time to time. Currently 12°C which it turns out is today's high; the barometers also seem unduly pessimistic, having plummeted 20 points to 992/1000mB since yesterday

Comment

Morning all
              Overnight rain made the walk a bit damp underfoot, but now the sun is starting to shine now.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning all

Sunny, blue sky, lumps of fluff. Damp from overnight rain. Currently 13 degrees with a high of 15 expected. Low chance of rain but the barometer has dropped sharply to 1000 mBar so something's afoot.

Comment

I've got to go to London on Thursday for an end-of-quarter wrap-up and then a next-quarter planning session, even though I'll only be there for ten more working days after that. But more importantly, we're all going for drinks afterwards to mark (celebrate?) my departure from the team, which originally would have been on that day.

So this morning an email comes from the DM suggesting a place near the office where we could go: The Harp, Covent Garden

Naturally, I have approved this choice most vigorously

Comment

Looks like the possible gig continuing at the department through a different consultancy has fallen through - it seems they found someone internally, which I suspect is my civil servant colleague from last year's project, as she recently started contributing to the relevant repository

Oh well, onwards and upwards!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      Looks like the possible gig continuing at the department through a different consultancy has fallen through - it seems they found someone internally, which I suspect is my civil servant colleague from last year's project, as she recently started contributing to the relevant repository

Oh well, onwards and upwards!
                      Gives you more time to focus on your upcoming move

Comment

Working...
                      X