• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Ooh is it holiday time?

Bring your bikini!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I didn't think that much of it last time, but it's been upgraded to 4K on the Apple TV so tonight's first feature was a rewatch of Battle: Los Angeles (2011). It's still a bit lacking somehow; it's OK for what it is, yet it seems like it should be much better, given that films like Edge of Tomorrow and Cloverfield have much the same premise and are, in fact, better by a very considerable margin. But the people that made it presumably tried their best and didn't manage to give it what it lacked, and they're experts in making films, so I don't suppose I'll manage to work out where they went wrong on the strength of two viewings a couple of years apart

FWIW, it's one of the few films that has its own thread on CUK: Battle: Los Angeles

After that, as I watched the original a few days since and it's also been upgraded to 4K, it was the remake of Total Recall (2012). Honestly, I think the best thing to do with this is pretend it has nothing to do with the original at all, and simply accept it on its own terms; though the reuse of some of the most famous lines, and a few other blatant references (sometime subverted in the name of being arch, though they probably thought they were being clever) make that difficult if you watch them too soon after each other.

Still, it's good enough if you accept my initial proviso; and I'll always have a soft spot for it because of the holographic direction sign on a hovercar freeway high above future London that not only uses exactly the same font as is used on current UK non-motorway road signs (Transport), but also includes the correct supplementary symbols for places of significance: a white H on a red background for "St. Thomas' Hospital" and the old British Rail logo in white on a red background for "Waterloo"

And then the season one finale of The Americans, S1E13 The Colonel (TV Episode 2013). The music played over the closing scenes of this episode is Peter Gabriel's Games Without Frontiers, and it occurred to me that while it's an excellent and highly appropriate song for the context, probably almost none of the American audience and very few of the European audience under the age of about forty must have the faintest idea of what the choir singing "Jeux Sans Frontières" or the punchline of the verses "It's a Knockout" are referring to. But us old Gits Britanniques (as the French would put it) get it

Goodnight all
      Last edited by NickFitz; 30 January 2021, 04:47.

Comment

Morning all

Dull and wet out. Doesn't seem to be raining right at this moment. It's currently 4 degrees ('feels like' 1) and that's the best the day will muster. Rain expected all day. There's a snow/rain combination symbol around the 1700 hour. Barometer remains steady at 996 mBar.

Shopping delivery due at 12, got to pop out to the post box before then. I'm going to have a coffee first.

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
        The 'Lone Ranger' premieres on 'Radio WXYZ' in the United States 1933

Comment

And now for a bit of gratuitous waffle.

Comment

I came on here to post and the site was down!

Anyway Morning!

I got up and decided to drive my car to a well-known supermarket that makes me use A roads to stop my car battery going flat.

Anyway the only item I had to procure was a certain cleaning product though I brought a few other items.

Now I have some PINK STUFF.

I have yet to use it.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Oh and it felt quite warm when I woke up but now it feels cold.

Looking at my weather app it appears the temperature is going down as today's high is 7 degrees but it is currently 4 degrees. Then from noon it goes down to 3 etc.

And it will rain all day...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Watched the Mock the Week that I attended half the recording of.
                Did you blow your nose?

Or are you the woman sitting with tarpaulin behind you?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Did you blow your nose?

Or are you the woman sitting with tarpaulin behind you?
                  I wasn't selected to be on the zoom audience sadly. Good job as recording started at 6.30pm and I only remembered at 7.15pm

It's also a good job it's a long recording! They record way more jokes and chat than they need and then there's links and intros that have to be rerecorded at the end so it takes just under 3 hours to do the whole lot. It was the same when I saw it years ago in the studios at Waterloo.

It's well worth putting your down on the BBC shows list as it's been fun watching radio shows like Just a Minute, The Kitchen Cabinet, and The Infinite Monkey Cage too.

Comment

Walk to the post box done. Lightly raining, cold. Not nice out there at all.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Grey and chilly day out there, with what are described as "snow showers" though they don't seem to result in any snow and are probably more like lumpy cold rain. Currently 2°C and "Feels Like" -4°; barometers claiming 988/996mB

Comment

Working...
                      X