• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning.

Dry.

Sky blue in parts with pink white clouds.

Sunny.

Cold at 14.3 deg in here.

1003 mBar and 62% RH.

Tuesday.

<hiatus>

Garden path unexpectedly icy.

TV Times & the Xmas Radio Times purchased from the post office.

Walk walked.

It's chilly out there today in the glorious sunshine.

Chem trails evident.

<hiatus>

Lunch: Heinz lentil soup with Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed bread, bramble jelly on Morrisons wholemeal sunflower and spelt crust, red pippy corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Oh, and the Ginsters vegan Moroccan pasty that was lurking unregarded in the fridge.

In other news I had a zombie apocalypse dream last night.

I hope it's not one of those prescient dreams I have from time to time.

In other news, the sun's really out now.

<hiatus>

Some mild potching about done to secure the tin shed wall a bit before I pack some concrete down the slot.

Afternoon Entertainment: "Ride Lonesome (1959)" with Old Stoneface (rather more stonefaced than in yesterday's epic wherein he smiled a lot, most disturbing) Randolph Scott, Pernell Roberts, Lee Van Cleef, and James Coburn.

It was rather good.

Directed by Budd Boetticher again.

<hiatus>

Tea: Tesco chunky breaded haddock, stewed Granny Smith's apples with custard, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Evening Entertainment: Abandoned Engineering on Yesterday at 20:00.

Engineering Mistakes on Quest at 22:00.

Something else TBD: in the event a thing about Robin Hood on Sky Arts at 19:00.

Oh, and while I remember, it's rained a little.

Engineering mistakes:

Oooer, nasty:

Cheesegrater bolts and ‘hydrogen embrittlement’ – what you need to know – Construction Manager

Cheesegrater bolt saga finally comes to an end

Only cost £6M to fix.

Next: what happens if you build an autobahn on a peat bog.

i.e. nothing good.

Ah. A new untried technique: mini friction piles.

Next up: the roads in Portland Oregon.

Caused by the way they cover existing asphalt with new asphalt, which then cracks up.

Change the asphalt by adding fibre from bulletproof vests.

Apparently.

Landslide entire Greek village Ropoto.

Ah. EU funded development.

And water diversion was stopped.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 8 December 2020, 22:55.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning denizens

Another grey 1°C morning, officially denoted as "foggy" though, as usual, the fog must be more of a countryside thing

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Just had a call from a Glasgow number on my mobile. Cue me dashing round to the southern wing of my flat to get a better signal.

"This is a call from HM Revenue and Customs to inform you there is a tax fraud investigation on your account. Press 1 to be connected to..."

At which point I hung up.
      I got another call from an 0203 number, different to yesterday's, at eight this morning. They'd be lucky to get an answer out of me at that time even if I knew who it was

Comment

The sun has come out!

Comment

Morning all

Sun has burned off the morning mist, but still 0C here.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            You got a lovely set, I remember you showing me the photos.

I only have about 115-120 cm of width to play with and in that I need a slot for the sound bar and storage for tat (which can be open shelves or drawers). I'd like whatever I get to be sympathetic with my G-Plan coffee table. Their TV units with the slide out shelf aren't quite what I'm looking for.
            It's strange how G-Plan furniture is often sold for pennies while Ercol stuff from the same era now goes for £100s (coming from that neck of the woods I remember when an apprenticeship at either firm was the aim for most secondary modern boys).
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              It's strange how G-Plan furniture is often sold for pennies while Ercol stuff from the same era now goes for £100s.
              Ercol is a little less chunky so I think it meets more modern tastes. I like Ercol too and I'm still smarting at my Dad (on my late Gran's request) chucking out an Ercol day bed frame. There was nothing wrong with it, it just didn't have a seat pad. My Gran decided it was rubbish because of that and told my Dad to chuck it, which he literally did. I bet someone down the tip spotted it and made a fortune.

Comment

Morning still foggy

Currently 2 degrees and today's high is 4 degrees.

Apparently Bill Gates is now going through be controling that 90 year old woman who was vaccinated.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I wish G-Plan went for pennies... There is a lot of tatty and damaged floating about, but certain series are going for a lot more than they ever cost new in the 60/70's.
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

My energy company went bust at the weekend so I am now a customer of Scottish Power.

The energy company went bust due to people not paying their bills. There as I'm in credit so I've cancelled my DD, downloaded my bills, took screen shots and photographed my meters as Scottish Power have a trustpilot rating of 1.
                    Last edited by SueEllen; 8 December 2020, 11:44.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      My energy company went bust at the weekend so I am now a customer of Scottish Power.

The energy company went bust due to people not paying their bills. There as I'm in credit so I've cancelled my DD, downloaded my bills, took screen shots and photographed my meters as Scottish Power have a trustpilot rating of 1.
                      Yep time to switch...
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X