• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunny again now

The old boys' magazine has arrived in the post. The cover photo is of the Great Hall filled with Captain Tom's birthday cards, and knowing the size of the place (albeit it had a slightly different form before the fire of 1979), I have to say it's an impressive display. I'm not sure if he has any connection with the school, other than it being near where he lives, but I daresay I'll find out if I read the article within

And after that, I'll have a look through the list of deaths. I used to browse that looking for any of my erstwhile teachers who'd died; now, it's for any of my erstwhile classmates

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      And after that, I'll have a look through the list of deaths. I used to browse that looking for any of my erstwhile teachers who'd died; now, it's for any of my erstwhile classmates
      I think most of my teachers are pushing up daisies, along with a fair few of my classmates.

The last teacher I remember reading about was the biology teacher who popped his clogs in a home when he was 90 odd.

I think the physics teacher was still wandering around a couple of years ago.

Most of the rest were dead within a couple of years of me leaving in '72.

Tom Pugh popped his clogs within 6 months of retiring which was rather sad.

Some of the others died in harness.

There's been no skool mag since 1973 when it became a comp instead of a Grammar Skool.

In happier news the Radiomobile 4220 wireless has sprung into life after some further attention and is currently "entertaining" me with crap off Swansea Sound, not normally a station that would grace my listening.

In other other news, the sun's out, there's a blue sky with white fluffy clouds and it's quite warm again.

Feck me, I really don't like Swansea Sound.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 18 August 2020, 14:51.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

30 stops.

He's now spent the last 3 hours driving within a mile of my house
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

We seem to have got off lightly this year; clearly a hardy cohort

Turns out Captain (Sir) Tom's grandson is at the school, and the guy who runs the department at the Post Office that deals with things like one person getting 160,000 cards is an old boy, and roped in a bunch of volunteers from the club to help out

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          I think most of my teachers are pushing up daisies, along with a fair few of my classmates.

The last teacher I remember reading about was the biology teacher who popped his clogs in a home when he was 90 odd.

I think the physics teacher was still wandering around a couple of years ago.

Most of the rest were dead within a couple of years of me leaving in '72.

Tom Pugh popped his clogs within 6 months of retiring which was rather sad.

Some of the others died in harness.

There's been no skool mag since 1973 when it became a comp instead of a Grammar Skool.
          Some teachers that were there in my day have gone this time around, including one bloke who worked there from 1958 to 2004

His surname is vaguely familiar but I can't place him. Mind you, in trying, I've realised how many of their names I've forgotten now

One of the others I recognise the name of, but he never taught me.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
            In happier news the Radiomobile 4220 wireless has sprung into life after some further attention and is currently "entertaining" me with crap off Swansea Sound, not normally a station that would grace my listening.

Comment

Yodel says parcel is 27 stops away.
              Yodel map shows driver at my front door.

We have coffee
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                It's got quite harsh as it's warmed up.

Which IIRC is what it did 48 years ago.

Obviously sommat not quite right with my design.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Yodel says parcel is 27 stops away.
                  Yodel map shows driver at my front door.

We have coffee

Comment

Teeming down here now

And the mundane laundry is nearly done

Comment

It's been a nice sunny day here today. There was a teeny tiny spit of rain just before lunch but barely noticeable.

Comment

Working...
                      X