• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lunch: zingy chicken, tomato and lentil soup

More white bread than brown this time, as I’m very low on brown bread so I wanted to save the last few slices in case the urge for buttered wholemeal toast comes upon me. I might head down to M&S tomorrow, as I can always do with more sausages but I don’t need a full-blown visit to Sainsbury’s. Not sure whether M&S brown bread might not be too posh for the likes of me, though

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      On this day in history...
      25 years ago today I made the first payment to Legal & General for the endowment on the first property I bought.

They've transferred the money into my bank today

Amazing how they can remember these things after all that time. I haven’t a clue what I was doing on 21 May 1995

Though it seems it was a Sunday so in the evening I would have been working the bar for the poetry night in the upstairs room of a now-demolished pub

Comment

I knew I'd passed my driving test in May sometime mid-1990's. A quick check has revealed that auspicious date was 14 May 1996, so I'll have to celebrate that next year somehow.

Comment

Lunch: a smidgeon of the lentil <pffft> soup I made yesterday, with Morrisons sunflower and pum

pkin seed bread, pippy corner yogurt thing, bramble jelly sandwich, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Just found the destructions for "The Loughborough University of Technology Modular One FORTRAN users manual".

Stone me it's complicated.

I can see why I never bothered with it.

Punch source tape on ASR33, SWITCH ON MODULAR ONE COMPUTER AND ALL PERIPHERALS, load EXEC, load compiler, run tape through compiler, punch object, load linker tape, run object tape, run FORRTAN library tape, punch binary, load binary, run binary.

^^^ this is an abreviated version, the real version goes on and on and on for 6 pages.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          I haven’t a clue what I was doing on 21 May 1995
          I was working on designing display terminals in Cwmbran, it being part of the 2.5 years from redundancy to redundacy cycle of the 1990s.

Redundant June 1993.

Worked for a while in Letchworth on the stuff from the previous job.

Unemployed from October to February, then worked for a place in Cwmbran for a month and decided I didn't like it.

"Worked" for a week for a nutjob in Cwm Ebbw Vale, got sacked.

Unemployed until the November, then started on the display terminal thing.

Redundant again July 1997.

Cue contracting in Bristol.

Didn't feel like more gardening so I'm doing a bit of spring cleaning instead.

Feck me, those springs don't half get dirty.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 21 May 2020, 13:54.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            I knew I'd passed my driving test in May sometime mid-1990's. A quick check has revealed that auspicious date was 14 May 1996, so I'll have to celebrate that next year somehow.

Blimey then I was off round the world explaining how SNMP worked. Very exciting - I could send people to sleep in 20 seconds!

Strangely I did quite well in the 90s. It was the 10s that did for me. Redundant twice in a year! Luckily I had 3 month notice periods .

Hi Mr V the organisation has changed an we are pissed off with you being right - here have a big cheque and 3 months garden leave! Do pop back and tell us how much more you are earning soon.
            Last edited by vetran; 21 May 2020, 14:35.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Having pondered further on what I was doing in May 1995, I realised I would have been finishing up my A-Levels and was working at Harbour Park (or Smarts Amusements as it was) in Littlehmapton on the change counter. I made a fortune there and met my oldest friend who worked on the soft toy counter. We both did very well out fleecing the public, most of whom came down from that London by the coach load.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Having pondered further on what I was doing in May 1995, I realised I would have been finishing up my A-Levels and was working at Harbour Park (or Smarts Amusements as it was) in Littlehmapton on the change counter. I made a fortune there and met my oldest friend who worked on the soft toy counter. We both did very well out fleecing the public, most of whom came down from that London by the coach load.

Ah 1995 I was off round the world installing early databases. From Paris, via Cumbria to Brunei.

Comment

On inspecting my CV, May 1995 was working for Sandwell Council as an IT Officer, first ever job, creating spreadsheets, inspecting payroll, felt disheartened when the Chief Exec was on 3 or 4k a month and i was on £850 !(permie) !!!

Then went on to be a VB programmer for £1,000 a month (permie)
                  Married

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Ah 1995 I was off round the world installing early databases. From Paris, via Cumbria to Brunei.
                    Doesn't sound nearly as exciting as Cwmbran.

Following the afternoon's cleaning of the springs, a ferret about in the freezer has revealed a pack of M&S frozen peas BBE Oct 2012.

There's an icecream carton of green gooseberries dated 2010.

Somewhat knackered now.

In 1974 I was on £1500/pa fixing tellies, the academic career being rather less than glowing.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyGarbs View Post
                      On inspecting my CV, May 1995 was working for Sandwell Council as an IT Officer, first ever job, creating spreadsheets, inspecting payroll, felt disheartened when the Chief Exec was on 3 or 4k a month and i was on £850 !(permie) !!!

Then went on to be a VB programmer for £1,000 a month (permie)
                      Blimey 1995 I was on £1500 a month or £18K with no overtime, well no life just running around the country.

Comment

Working...
                      X