• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight's multi-movie extravaganza opened with A Quiet Place (2018), in which monstrous creatures (probably from outer space, although that can only be inferred from some stuff written on a whiteboard seen in the background of certain scenes) are stalking what remains of the human race, though we only really see one family in particular, living in what seems to be the mid-west of the USA. Said creatures have the notable feature that they are sightless and, presumably, lacking the sense of scent, and therefore stalk their prey solely by sound, meaning everybody has to strive to remain silent throughout the film. I thought it was very good, though the family's behaviour is lamentably stupid at times. I realise that people living in those rural regions tend to leave their doors open, but if you knew there were man-eating monsters in the neighbourhood, wouldn't you get in the habit of closing the front door behind you after a year or two of being constantly terrified? This lot didn't

After that: The Hitman's Bodyguard (2017), which is more of a comedy thriller than a thriller with comedic tendencies. I found it a bit tricky to adjust to this after the previous film (my fault entirely) but it's an enjoyable romp with some excellent action sequences, and very funny at times. BTW, when fast-forwarding through the credits (the Apple TV leaves it in "Unwatched" on iTunes if you don't) I found that there's an inset of a blown shot in Amsterdam right at the end, where Ryan Reynolds has got his face set just so for the start of the scene they're about to shoot when some church bells start chiming, and just keep chiming…

And finally, The Post (2017), about the Washington Post's publication of the Pentagon Papers and the Nixon White House's attempt to stop them doing so. I watched this because someone on Twitter whose opinions I respect watched it a few days ago and reckoned it was OK, but not as good as Spotlight, which I've had sitting around for a while but haven't watched yet. I thought it was excellent, so I'm now looking forward to finding out if Spotlight really is better

Goodnight all

Comment

The "Quiet Place" thing sounded like some SF story or other I'd read but it turns out not to be.

I really enjoyed "The Hitman's Bodyguard", mofo.

Which is just as well as I paid £5 for it.

The same could not be said for "Suburbicon" which I discovered to be a Coen Brothers "comedy".

15.2 deg in here today, whilst it's 8.2 deg in the laundry room with a min of 7.9.

Brrrrrrr.

After the BP reading I suspect I'm off salt for a while.

Well there's a thing:

The Silence – Film news | Tim Lebbon - horror and dark fantasy author

Not the story I was thinking of but there you go.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 29 September 2018, 08:22.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Sunny but mild again; 21°C in here, 15°C out there

Comment

Afternoon all clear blue skies and sunny. Dog walked, car washed, shopping done, time for a glass of something in the garden.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Bacon butty for lunch, and very nice it was

Comment

FFS. In the post, a copy of the letter the plastic surgery department sent to my GP after the consultation a while ago concerning my surgery scar.

Also in the post: a copy of another letter from the same surgeon to my GP, bearing all my details, describing a completely different patient's condition, symptoms, and recommended treatment

So now I've got to call the hospital to get them to sort out sending that letter to the right place and removing it from my records, and also tell my GP that no, I am not suffering from "hidden penis without any phimosis", nor do I have "an extremely high body mass index"

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Bacon butty for lunch, and very nice it was
                Lunch, for BP reasons, was sans the usual steak & kidney pie/pork pie/steak pie/hairy pie.

It was, instead, a can of soup with some chili sauce added to spice it up a bit.

After which, since it's a lovely day, I thought it a good idea to go & massacre some weeds, honey suckle, forsythia, more fecking honey suckle, some other bush thing, yet more fecking honeysuckle, some inch thick brambles, some more fecking honeysuckle.

After clearing up the remains, I then cuddled he/she who would be StrangeloveMog for a while before staggering back indoors & sitting down for a while after having a nice wash.

It's quite warm out there.

My arms are telling me I did too much swinging about of the hedge trimmer, and the back is saying "you're not 25 any more you old fool".

And having sat down I'm now practically immobile.

Ho hum.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  Lunch, for BP reasons, was sans the usual steak & kidney pie/pork pie/steak pie/hairy pie.

It was, instead, a can of soup with some chili sauce added to spice it up a bit.

After which, since it's a lovely day, I thought it a good idea to go & massacre some weeds, honey suckle, forsythia, more fecking honey suckle, some other bush thing, yet more fecking honeysuckle, some inch thick brambles, some more fecking honeysuckle.

After clearing up the remains, I then cuddled he/she who would be StrangeloveMog for a while before staggering back indoors & sitting down for a while after having a nice wash.

It's quite warm out there.

My arms are telling me I did too much swinging about of the hedge trimmer, and the back is saying "you're not 25 any more you old fool".

And having sat down I'm now practically immobile.

Ho hum.

On the bright side, the exercise is good for the blood pressure in the long term, or so they tell me

Comment

On the bright side, the exercise is good for the blood pressure in the long term, or so they tell me

Today's first feature was "Handsome Harry" which, for some odd reason has Steve Buscemi on the back cover carrying a pistol.

Which really is odd since he spends all his time in the movie in bed dying.

But there you go.

Handsome Harry (2009) - IMDb

He's on the front cover too, but the lead actor is Jamey Sheridan.

As it transpires, it's all about the love that dare not speak its name, especially in the Navy in the 1970s.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 29 September 2018, 17:19.

Comment

FFS. In the post, a copy of the letter the plastic surgery department sent to my GP after the consultation a while ago concerning my surgery scar.

Also in the post: a copy of another letter from the same surgeon to my GP, bearing all my details, describing a completely different patient's condition, symptoms, and recommended treatment

So now I've got to call the hospital to get them to sort out sending that letter to the right place and removing it from my records, and also tell my GP that no, I am not suffering from "hidden penis without any phimosis", nor do I have "an extremely high body mass index"
                      they sent MF's details to Your GP?

Comment

Working...
                      X