• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Right then. Twitter are turning off their streaming APIs tomorrow because they're gits, so I've got to completely rewrite the bot that saves everything off my timeline

Luckily I wrote it in such a way that it's decoupled from the rest of the application by a message queue, so there's only a single component to reimplement to use a completely different API. Still annoying though
    Got absolutely nowhere with this so far, because I instead got bogged down trying to work out why the Chef stuff I use for deployment had stopped working. Turned out some dependency I hadn't pinned had been updated to a newer major version, which has a completely different API to any older version and no backwards compatibility, because that's what Ruby people do

But it turns out it's Thursday the API switch-off occurs, so assuming I've finally sorted that lot out, I can crack on with it tomorrow

Comment

Tonight's tea has been reheated portions of the chicken that was roasted yesterday, with chips and lashings of tomato ketchup

The rest of the fowl will go in the freezer so I can use it at a later date for chicken and pearl barley soup

Comment

Got absolutely nowhere with this so far, because I instead got bogged down trying to work out why the Chef stuff I use for deployment had stopped working. Turned out some dependency I hadn't pinned had been updated to a newer major version, which has a completely different API to any older version and no backwards compatibility, because that's what Ruby people do

But it turns out it's Thursday the API switch-off occurs, so assuming I've finally sorted that lot out, I can crack on with it tomorrow
        Turns out I have sorted that lot out; the Chef recipes are all working again now, assuming that having spun up a functional application server is evidence of working

Comment

Right then. Twitter are turning off their streaming APIs tomorrow because they're gits, so I've got to completely rewrite the bot that saves everything off my timeline
          Bar Stewards!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Luckily I wrote it in such a way that it's decoupled from the rest of the application by a message queue, so there's only a single component to reimplement to use a completely different API. Still annoying though

Turns out I have sorted that lot out; the Chef recipes are all working again now, assuming that having spun up a functional application server is evidence of working

I find it fascinating that I can't understand any of that, and, moreover, I really don't give a tulip any more.

Tonight's tea has been reheated portions of the chicken that was roasted yesterday, with chips and lashings of tomato ketchup

The rest of the fowl will go in the freezer so I can use it at a later date for chicken and pearl barley soup
            Oh.

I understood that bit.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 14 August 2018, 22:39.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

BF- bacon butty
              Lunch - Salmon & Corn chowder (in a plastic Pot from Sainsburys) + 2 slices of brown Bread
              Dinner - Cod (1/2) + chips & steak & widney pie. Washed down with Maltsmiths Pilsner larger (on cheap from Tesco - not bad for 34p a can).

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                I find it fascinating that I can't understand any of that, and , moreover, I really don't give a tulip any more.

Oh.

I understood that bit.
                You go Grandad!

Comment

FIL back in hospital. Despite 7 years of intensive cancer treatment it appears they have forgotten his blood group so they had to test him again.
                  You would have thought having stuffed him full of poison over the last 7 years which normally means anaemia they might know. He has however been waiting 3 days to get a transfusion.

He has only moved wards 4 times since Saturday when he fell over and broke his thumb.

I know we aren't allowed to complain about the NHS but sorry it seems a bit tulip! Mrs V is in a state.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                    I find it fascinating that I can't understand any of that, and, moreover, I really don't give a tulip any more.
                    I got the feeling I didn't understand any of it at various points during the day

Comment

Tonight's entertainment was a rewatch of

Flightplan, in which Jodie Foster is a mother whose daughter goes missing during a transatlantic flight on a plane which she helped design. I know, it sounds like a stupid premise, but it isn't. In fact, although I found the first few minutes a bit laboured, it turned out to be a very fine and tautly-paced thriller, and it gets top marks from me
                      which I enjoyed again, despite the obviously ludicrous idea of an airliner having as much unused space as that one seemed to

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X