• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    As various dimwitted US corporations are under the mistaken impression that they can wriggle out of GDPR using IP address blocking, I've set myself up a VPN in AWS's North Virginia data centre and am using that to read their stuff

It's rather annoying of them, though. It means I'll have to double-check any links I saved before today to make sure they're still reachable from here before putting them in Monday Links. Though I always check everything anyway - I once had a site remove an article between me saving a link to it at the weekend and going to post it on Monday morning
    You really do need to get out more

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
      You really do need to get out more
      I've just been out, for a snap inspection of the chip shop. Cod full of flavour, chips good

It's quite grey and damp out there still

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Sore arsed chickens!
        FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          FTFY
          Chickens have a vent. No front bottom, no back bottom, just one, which is where the eggs and the poo comes from
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Chickens have a vent. No front bottom, no back bottom, just one, which is where the eggs and the poo comes from
            so did you weigh them with or without guano??

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Can you imagine squeezing out close to 10% of your body mass through your vent every day?
              the wonders of senokot!
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Tonight's entertainment features commenced with The Town, concerning certain bank robbers in Boston. It starts with some specious nonsense about there being more bank robberies there than anywhere else in the world, all perpetrated by people from one small neighbourhood, but that theorem is easily refuted by checking the Wikipedia page for the film. Anyway, the version I watched was the extended one, which has a different ending to the original version, though I haven't seen that so I don't know how it differs. It does a good job on the heist bits, though it also has a load of stuff about relationships in it which can get a bit slow; maybe that's where the extra half hour compared to the original cut comes in. But overall it's pretty good, and I would imagine the original would be a bit pacier.

To follow, Baby Driver, also about bank robberies, and a bit of a hit last year. Its primary conceit is the young stoppo driver, as he would have been called in The Sweeney, listening to music on his collection of iPods all the time. This made for a rather annoying triumph of style over substance for the first half hour or so, particularly as I don't like virtually all of the music he does. (In fact, I actively resent being made to listen to a fair bit of it.) But after that it settled down into actually telling the damn story rather than acting cool, and it wasn't too bad. (They also managed to get one or two decent tracks in there towards the end, though sadly often cut quite short compared to some of the Motown garbage they'd inflicted on us earlier.)

And then I squeezed in a further episode of The Good Place, as I haven't watched any of that in a while. This one just moved the arc of the story along a bit rather than concentrating on any particular aspect of philosophy, but it's still very good when it just does that

Goodnight all

Comment

Last evenin'g episode of "The Bridge".

Nice bit of plot development there.

Last evening's episode of "NCIS".

Well I'd heard that someone's time was up.

ISTR a kinematic offering rather similar to "Baby Driver" but I can't remember what it was called.

Then again, that's hardly surprising considering how Hollywood mines its back catalogue rather than having original ideas.

I shall now have to go & look in the pile of watched dvds to figure out which it is.

Oh, and I lost a nice big chunk of filling.

Funny how this always happens when the dentist is shut.

That was surprisingly easy: "Drive", Ryan Gosling, 2011.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780504/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I didn't like it much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  the wonders of senokot!
                  And norovirus.
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 26 May 2018, 07:36.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Gone a bit sunny out there now

Looks like that's just to lull us into a false sense of security though, as there's a forecast of rain overnight, thunderstorms tomorrow, and of course rain on Bank Holiday Monday
                    Last edited by NickFitz; 26 May 2018, 13:06.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                      That was surprisingly easy: "Drive", Ryan Gosling, 2011.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780504/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I didn't like it much.
                      I seem to have that one, though I haven't watched it yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X