• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonder what the shopping conditions will be like. I daresay people who'd normally be kept in work until Saturday will be out there instead of enjoying their day off, making it worse; but not enough of them for it to make sense to wait until tomorrow. And the same probably goes for Monday.

And no doubt there'll be the usual contingent buying huge amounts of bread and milk because OMG, the shops are closed on Sunday!

Comment

Shopping done. It was… not good

Still, it's all out of the way now, so I'm relaxing with a couple of sausages in fresh white finger rolls

Comment

Tonight's tea sought to replicate the Good Friday teas of childhood, when we would inevitably have fish and chips; and very nice it was too

Though I messed up the fasting thing with those sausages earlier

I, and a number of other people, had to wait while they were frying both fish and chips, which is of course exactly how one wants things, so it's all good and fresh. I went to the chippy about half-a-mile away whose catchment area is primarily an old (pre-WWII, for the most part) council estate with a bit of a rough reputation. But everybody who came in was unfailingly polite, asking if I had yet ordered before approaching the counter, and otherwise checking with everyone to ensure they found their correct position in the rather loosely-formed queue. It was all very British

It's tipping down with rain here now, though, so I got pretty damp walking there and back.

Comment

Continuing the Good Friday tie-in, tonight's entertainment opened with The Long Good Friday (1980), which I've seen many times before, but which is always worth a rewatch. Great stuff, and I daresay some real-life Harold Shands and Councillor Harrises did very well from the redevelopment of the old docks during the era immediately after the events of the film, when Thatcher would probably have invited Harold to Downing Street and given him a knighthood

After that: The Revenant (2015). Not bad, and lots of very pretty scenery that looks good in 4K, but far too long to support the actual story. Also, those flashbacks full of what was supposed to be Native American wisdom sounded more like the trite aphorisms that people stick on some photograph of a sunset or a tree or a ladybird and post on Facebook.

And finally, another episode of Better Call Saul. From now on, I'm in never-before-seen territory with that

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all Looks like we’re going to get wet on this morning’s walk to pick up the toy (left at a friend’s house where we had dinner last night)
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey out, though at least the rain's stopped for a bit

Comment

Bacon butty for lunch

It's raining now. Monday's snow appears to have been cancelled, though

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Bacon butty for lunch

It's raining now. Monday's snow appears to have been cancelled, though
                  Been pissing it down all day today. Luckily managed to get the planned bike ride in yesterday when it was just cold.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

It's really dark here. The sun doesn't even set for another ninety minutes

Comment

I am, almost accidentally, being quite efficient today. Boring shirts for work have been washed, followed by tea towels, oven gloves, and apron; and my rewrite of my Chef recipes for deploying Django apps on AWS is almost complete, even to the point of having InSpec tests!

Comment

Working...
                      X