• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight's home cinema experience opened with The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013), in which they apparently expected their audience to have grown up slightly compared to the first one, which helped to make it more conducive to the willing suspension of disbelief and thereby an even better movie extravaganza than the first - hugely enjoyable, I thought

After that, a film which I hadn't heard of until Peter Watts tweeted about its excellent use of London locations the other day: Children of Men (2006), set in a dystopian near-future in which the human race has become infertile, and an alcoholic journalist is dragooned by his ex-wife into helping smuggle the only pregnant woman in the world, who happens to be black, out of Britain to avoid the brutal clutches of the government.

To be honest, said government sounded very much like Theresa May's lot in their attitudes towards people they suspect of being a bit foreign in their parentage. So although it's supposed to be set ten years or so from now, aspects of it sounded more like the news over the past few weeks

It also occurred to me that some scenes of alleyways full of crap, indicative of dystopian social collapse, looked much as similar locations do in 1970s London TV plays such as “The Knowledge” and “Bar Mitzvah Boy”. So perhaps our expectations of the dingier corners of the capital have risen a little in the last few decades

Anyway, it's a bloody excellent film, and I recommend it highly

Oh, and it also features Michael Caine with long hair and a beard, living in a house in the woods and growing dope for a living

Goodnight all

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      well he has to impress the mistress!

Congrats to him. Is he becoming a house husband or selling his body by the hour now?
      He's thinking.

I'm hoping he can cut the grass while doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Oh, and it also features Michael Caine with long hair and a beard, living in a house in the woods and growing dope for a living
        Thanks for that.

I'll add it to the list of stuff to look out for, in addition to A Muppet Xmas Carol.

Anyone else watching "Deep State" & becoming increasingly confused?

Or is it just me?

The gradual rearrangement of the Strangelove abode has reduced the amount of Stepping Over Things that said Strangelove has to do.

This I regards as a definite plus, though there's a way to go yet.

Still not altogether sure quite why the wardrobe is now half full of brand new M&S shirts still in their packaging.

I think it must the the inner Strangelove squirrel tendencies yet again.

Pity some of them are at least a collar size too small these days.

Maybe the BBC site is right and I am a fat bastard.

It's a lovely sunny morn.

I may cut the lawns once again if it stays fine this afternoon.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 29 April 2018, 07:19.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey out yet again, though dry for now

Comment

It's a nice sunny day though a bit chilly.

So I've spent the morning moving stuff so I can clean underneath and such like, moving outher stuff so it's a bit () more rational re which pile it's in, and cooking the Sunday lunch.

Today it was Morrisons' minty lamb steak with added stuffed lamb's heart.

It was rather nice but not as good as usual because I didn't start the heart off slowly this time.

The minty lamb steak seemed to shrink a remarkable amount so I dunno what went on there.

One this mug of tea is finished, it's time for the dishes, then off to do the Sunday afternoon shop.

The excitement of my life knows few bounds.

I should take some more stuff down the dump, but I'm not sure I can be arsed.

Plus there's n lawns awaiting mowing.

Noticed yesterday that an immense pile of 1950s Railway Modeller magazines had fallen over in the garage, so I suppose I'd better sort that out too.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Tonight's home cinema experience opened with The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013), in which they apparently expected their audience to have grown up slightly compared to the first one, which helped to make it more conducive to the willing suspension of disbelief and thereby an even better movie extravaganza than the first - hugely enjoyable, I thought

After that, a film which I hadn't heard of until Peter Watts tweeted about its excellent use of London locations the other day: Children of Men (2006), set in a dystopian near-future in which the human race has become infertile, and an alcoholic journalist is dragooned by his ex-wife into helping smuggle the only pregnant woman in the world, who happens to be black, out of Britain to avoid the brutal clutches of the government.

To be honest, said government sounded very much like Theresa May's lot in their attitudes towards people they suspect of being a bit foreign in their parentage. So although it's supposed to be set ten years or so from now, aspects of it sounded more like the news over the past few weeks

It also occurred to me that some scenes of alleyways full of crap, indicative of dystopian social collapse, looked much as similar locations do in 1970s London TV plays such as “The Knowledge” and “Bar Mitzvah Boy”. So perhaps our expectations of the dingier corners of the capital have risen a little in the last few decades

Anyway, it's a bloody excellent film, and I recommend it highly

Goodnight all
                I do quite like Clive Owen's selection of scripts.

Croupier & I will sleep when I am dead are both worth watching.

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0654110/fi...?ref_=m_nmfm_1
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  He's thinking.

I'm hoping he can cut the grass while doing so.
                  Its raining poor lad, he will have to watch it grow!

Comment

Chez V acquired a new multi cooker last night so it was pork belly roasted.

I then popped a joint in it for tonight low & slow.

Kedgeree for breakfast after micro v ate the boiled eggs. Some spare for tomorrow morning!

Comment

Sardine toasties for lunch, but old school sardines in olive oil this time, rather than the fancy ones in tomato sauce

Still grey out, but apparently we're going to remain rain-free until tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                      X