• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A very enjoyable day. TFBSZ
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Tonight's electric lantern show started with a further episode of Jordskott. This is now reaching the resolution stage, where some of the earlier weirdness starts to be explained. Happily, the explanations usually involve things getting even more weird, leading to an infinite recursive descent into weirdness

Next: Atomic Blonde (2017), and what an excellent film it is! I enjoyed it tremendously

Its setting in Berlin at the time the wall fell led to me remembering a chap who used to come in the pub around 1988-89, whose name was, I think, Dietmar. He was from East Germany. Naturally one asked him how he'd got to the west, expecting some stirring tale of dodging over the border as bullets flew. But he said he'd just been a constant fairly low-level nuisance, protesting about stuff and generally being a thorn in the side of the authorities. In the end, after he'd been arrested for the umpteenth time, they asked him if he would, if they allowed him to leave, just go and promise not to not come back. He naturally agreed, and they sent him across the border to West Germany, and that was it; job done.

Looking back, I wonder if perhaps his family had connections in high places, for him to get away with such repeated behaviour without being imprisoned, and to then be allowed to leave. Maybe part of the deal was that he kept quiet about being, say, the nephew of a high party official? But who knows. Anyway, that was around 1987 or so, and he eventually found his way to Leicester; it's a place people end up when they want to go somewhere nobody would think of looking for them.

Then the wall came down in 1989 and he was able to go back, which I think came as as much of a surprise to him as it did to the rest of the world. He was a good guy, and I hope he's happy wherever he's ended up.

And finally, The Death of Stalin (2017), which was OK, but which I didn't enjoy as much as I thought I would. I found some of the humour a bit juvenile, to be honest, and I thought there was some needless overacting in places, such as the early scene with the two guys in the control room at the radio station. But maybe that's what they were aiming for and I'm just not the target audience. Parts of it were excellent.

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all
        I suspect there may be a few hangovers this morning from the sweaties - and deservedly so. Was a good match to watch as a (mostly) neutral.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Morning all
          I suspect there may be a few hangovers this morning from the sweaties - and deservedly so. Was a good match to watch as a (mostly) neutral.
          Morning, only one hangover here

Comment

The Archers - OMG!
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Yesterday I finished watching 24 Hours in Police Custody on All 4 first shown on February 19. It was about a guy who used a sex worker and was then blackmailed. Not wishing to spoil a very interesting episode which is worth watching all I going to say it all happens in Luton, and some people are very good with Photoshop.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Cold out again, but it's very sunny

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Yesterday I finished watching 24 Hours in Police Custody on All 4 first shown on February 19. It was about a guy who used a sex worker and was then blackmailed. Not wishing to spoil a very interesting episode which is worth watching all I going to say it all happens in Luton, and some people are very good with Photoshop.
                  I started watching that yesterday when I was eating dinner - going to watch the rest of it tonight

Here's the gate where he was told to leave the money, on Street View. The note as read out in the programme calls it "Barton Hill Road", but there's no road of that name anywhere in the vicinity of Barton Hill in Bedfordshire (though other Barton Hills are available in other counties); it's just called Lilley

Comment

Just popped up to the Amazon Locker, and it's sodding cold out there

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      Just popped up to the Amazon Locker, and it's sodding cold out there
                      Yeah I know.

Went to supermarket earlier and the streets were empty due to the damn freezing wind.

Weather warnings for Tuesday and Wednesday.

Apparently not going to get above freezing on those days for East side of UK.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X