• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This evening, my Dad has asked for, received, and consumed chocolate mousse!

He's definitely on the mend if he's seeking out chocolate-based snacks

Here, the evening movie has been a rewatch of Fargo (1996) which has been quietly upgraded to 4K since I watched it a few years back. It's a good one

In other news, I think I'd mentioned that the incompetents at Eon had been trying to bill me for a period after I moved out of the old flat, even going so far as to pass it along to debt collectors? Having failed to get anybody to exhibit any competence in dealing with the matter, I finally raised a dispute with the Energy Ombudsman. They phoned yesterday to confirm the details, then agreed to open a case. Lo! Today, Eon have unreservedly accepted that they've been at fault and offered to resolve the matter on my terms (basically: fix their records, ensure the debt collectors delete theirs, and apologise) and will also give me £60 for my trouble

Comment

The mundane laundry which I forgot to put on when I first got home has finally finished drying, so I can get some sleep

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning denizens

Another fairly grey start out but it's dry, and the cloud looks quite thin so maybe it'll brighten up in a while. Still only 4°C, with 8° expected later. The barometers are up some more at 1022/1030mB

No news about my Dad so far today, which I think qualifies as good news, as it means nobody's been getting urgent messages from the doctors at five in the morning. I told him I'd go back to see him again today, so another day of driving awaits - though if he's well enough to receive visitors, as opposed to needing somebody watching him, it'll probably be a briefer thing in the afternoon.

Either way, I'm having an early lunch - I was famished yesterday. I couldn't leave his bedside though, as there was a risk of him chucking up and somebody needed to whip his oxygen mask off if he did. His major problem at the moment isn't anything to do with falling downstairs as such, it was that he'd thrown up while in hospital for the fall and aspirated some of it, so he's now getting antibiotics to stave off the pneumonia that's threatening to ensue

Comment

^^ falls do cause quite a shock to the system; glad to hear he's perked up

Morning all

Overcast again although a bit more blue sky than yesterday morning and a sunnier outlook for the day. Slightly damp out, not sure if that's dew or overnight rain. No rain forecast today. Currently 4 degrees with a high of 9 expected. Barometer up again to 1033 mBar.

Had a lovely date night out with HWMBO last night. Cocktails at the Sanderson Hotel followed by dinner at Quo Vadis. A very good time was had. I'm surprised to not be hungover. Mainly tired but I think that might be because the power seemed to trip at 5am. I got up to check the fuse box and flipped the switches. In hindsight, I realise I didn't even bother trying to switch a light on until after I'd flipped them so I may have reset everything for no reason.

Comment

Friday apparently.

Grey.

Dark.

Dreary.

Sunless.

Chilly in here at 12.2 deg, 11.5 deg in the kitchen, 9.5 deg in the leanto, 6.8 deg in the salting house.

1032 mBar, 30.475 in Hg, 774.1 Torr, 14.967 psi, (up from 1026 last night), 75% RH (GDR hair), 67% RH (Lidl electric).

Cottons in the WM.

Meanwhile on the 5th of August 2019 NF had tomato soup with two kinds of toast, with chicken dupiaza for tea, whereas I splashed out on a reduced Ginsters Pasty for lunch, with entertainment provided by The World at War.

It did the invisible edit thing again.

Cottons out of the WM & pegged out on the line, dangling limply in the stagnant air.

Walk (abbreviated) walked in the grey gloom & wan sunshine.

Lunch: scrambled egg etc.

Entertainment: whatever crap replaces Y&Y: the national anthem.

TWATO.

The last ep of the Tea thing at 13:45.

The ginger twat has won his phone hacking case, then.

Freecell score: 95%, running average: 86%.

Shirts and some cottons in off the line & dried in the TD.

Shirts & some cottons out of the TD & roughly iRoned & airing over the banisters.

Rest of the cottons in off the line & dried in the TD, iRoned where needed, now airing over the banisters.

Bedsheets in off the line & finishing off in the TD, now airing over the banisters.

Entertainment: Feedback. PM.

Wheeler Dealers S9 E10: Willys Jeep.

2022 Ghosts Xmas ep. Did I watch this?

Hitler's Giant Plane: the ME323 Gigant: two shot down near Sardinia: wreck of one found 65m down in the sea.

Minute by Minute: Emergency: Melbourne Thunderstorm Asthma Event. November 2016.

Swedish Customs thing: any frog fat?
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 15 December 2023, 22:07.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

In other news, I think I'd mentioned that the incompetents at Eon had been trying to bill me for a period after I moved out of the old flat, even going so far as to pass it along to debt collectors?
              My son has a similar problem. Being billed for usage by another flat. Glad yer dad's getting better.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Home again!

My dad seemed much more alert today. The problem, though, is that his speech is very bad, and I struggled to understand a single thing he said

His prostate cancer returned earlier in the year, though at a mild and easily-controlled level; the doctors see it as "die with" not "die from". But his speech has got worse since then, and my sister found that it can have neurological effects which manifest this way. He doesn't articulate anything like as clearly as he used to, and he has a tendency to just stop halfway through a sentence. Of course, without his teeth in and with an oxygen mask, it was even harder to work out what he was saying, and even when he took the mask off for a while I found it very difficult

Anyway, after a couple of hours they came round and gave him a shot of what I think is morphine and then took him off for an x-ray of his chest, and when he got back, I took my leave, as my sister was going to be there later and he was in need of a rest between visits.

My sister says he's now a bit confused, but that could be the morphine. Oh well, we just have to wait and see…

On the way back, I popped into Big Sainsbury's At The Other End as it's on the way out of town, and got the shopping done - well, as much as needed to be got done.

I didn't manage to get my early lunch in the end, so I had it just now: pork cutlet in a wholemeal bap with apple sauce

I'll give that a few minutes to go down, then I'd better get the dinner on

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

My son has a similar problem. Being billed for usage by another flat. Glad yer dad's getting better.
                  I reckon the landlord didn't register for billing until he'd got a new tenant in and could put it in their name. As there was, to my knowledge, a fair bit of work done (for some reason he had his workmen phoning me to ask questions about things like the water heater), there'll have been some amount of gas and electricity used, and he's been trying to make me pay for it - well, to make anybody but him pay for it. He struck me as very much the kind of guy who tries to wriggle his way out of legitimate costs he's incurred and calls it "being businesslike"

Comment

Tea has been a Sainsbury's ready meal lamb shank in minty gravy, which I adorned with chips and peas. Very nice, actually; I might try reproducing the recipe myself next time I have lamb shanks in

This was accompanied by an S7 episode of Trucking Hell, which reminded me that down at Crouch Recovery HQ, they've got fairy lights forming the outline of a heavy wrecker complete with flashing orange beacon on top. Not full scale, sadly - it's probably about five or six feet long

Comment

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was The Devil's Advocate (1997) in which Keanu Reeves finds that success at Al Pacino's ritzy NY law firm has strings attached… very good one this, well worth a watch if you haven't seen it

And then a rewatch of Atomic Blonde (2017) because that's always worth watching

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X