• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dark doings out on the lawn

One of the magpies was spending a lot of time interested in something small and brown over the other side and near the hedgerow. I got the binoculars out and had a look, and it was clearly a small furry animal, and also clearly dead. Didn't seem to be a squirrel, but seemed a bit large for a rat unless it was a real monster one.

So I put my shoes on and went down to have a look. It seems to have been dead for a little while and has a lot of flies buzzing around, but it appears to be a very young fox cub. No obvious indication of what killed it

I vaguely recall seeing something that size and colour in the base of the hedge yesterday or the day before, so it was probably dragged out the couple of feet or so on to the lawn by some creature of the night. Anyway, the magpie (which had moved away to another part of the lawn when I went over) was back there by the time I'd got back upstairs, so I assume it and any other carrion eaters in the vicinity feel like their Coronation lawn party has come early

Comment

As I was about to go into the office, The WifeTM told me that I needed to fillet 4 trout before her sister arrived.
      Trout duly filleted.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Lunch: Scotch broth with a bit of wholemeal

Meanwhile across the lawn, a magpie (or possibly several) is dropping in to lunch on the dead creature from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Meanwhile across the lawn, a magpie (or possibly several) is dropping in to lunch on the dead creature from time to time
          "It's the circle of life" sings...

I've cut the grass.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

"It's the circle of life" sings...

I've cut the grass.
            Funny you should mention that - the gardener (or groundskeeper, or whatever - I'm not sure what their official title is) has turned up to mow the lawns. Naturally, he's disposed of the dead creature first; I don't know if he's chucked it under the hedge or what, but it's gone before the magpies had got properly started on it

Comment

Evening all

It's been a lovely sunny day up in weegieland. High was 13 degrees and it's just starting to drop off.

Busy day at the coal face. Now having a G&T and a browse through the very scant opportunities available.

Comment

Tea has been chunky breaded cod with chips and beans

It's turning ominously cloudy out quite quickly, and there's a few spots of rain on the windows

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Evening all

It's been a lovely sunny day up in weegieland. High was 13 degrees and it's just starting to drop off.

Busy day at the coal face. Now having a G&T and a browse through the very scant opportunities available.
                  take it you mean contract opportunities because you should have no shortage of food and drink options in Glasgow.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The car earlier was also a boat, being the Amphicar CV770. Currently showing as SORN, though in reality it was sold to a Dutchman as they have more use for cars that are boats over there

And the perennial mechanical problems plagued a different set of gold diggers this time.

Then I got around to Inside the Factory on the subject of Jaffa Cakes

And I finally finished Ra

I'm feeling rather tired for some reason, so I'm getting an early night now. Friday tomorrow!

Goodnight all

Comment

Cars washed, grass cut, now TFBSZ
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X