• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning all

TFIF, etc.

A bit rainy out.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning.

Friday.

Damp.

White sky.

Wanly almost sunny.

Chilly in here at 12.1 deg, 12 deg in the kitchen, 11 deg in the leanto.

998 mBar, 29.47 in Hg, 748.56 Torr, 14.47477 psi, (down from 1001 last night), 74% RH (GDR hair), 70% RH (Lidl electric).

Awoke at about 06:15 being a little overheated, then dozed all the way through until 0:845 with Today burbling on in the background, begorrah.

Meanwhile on the 24th of May 2019 it was also a Friday, it was the warmer side of not so cold, misty over Margam, with 4 days to go until retirement.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the grey gloom & cold wind. I should have worn a scarf.

Lunch: scrambled egg and poached tomato (including half of the split one from Morrisons yesterday) on Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed toasted crust, bramble jelly & marmalade on 3 slices of Morrisons oat & barley toast, red corner yog, 0.91*1.57 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: something (Archive on 4) on R4 waffling on about bhangra music. ​.

Followed by the thing about dementia: now I've got every one apart from Huntingdon's Disease (which is genetic).

Freecell scorein the grey gloomy damp dark ennui of the afternoon:95%, running average: 85%.

Tea: battered cod, the last of the mango slices, a yog (running out of these coz they're not reduced at the moment and neither are the corner yogs), 0.91*1.51 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Feedback with someone who isn't the chap they got rid of for no readily apparent reason (Roger Bolton).

PM.

Wheeler Dealers S11 E3 95 RX7: bought: £5k, total: £8,025, sold (back to the original owner): £9k5. MOT ran out in 2015, currently SORN. They could have saved £850 by not bothering with that snakeskin tat.

"The Englishman who went up a hill & came down a mountain" with that Hugh Grant chap.

Thought the teacher seemed vaguely familiar: turns out to be Garfield Morgan from The Sweeney.

Red Dwarf: the first 3 million years on Dave.

Britain's Secret Islands on Blaze. There's something wrong, there's a distinct absence of Ancient Alien Nutjobs.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 14 April 2023, 21:06.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

Cloudy but bright. Some spots of wet but mostly dry. Currently 9 degrees ('feels like' 7) with a high of 11 forecast. Rain expected in varying levels of enthusiasm throughout the day. Barometer up a tiny bit to 1004 mBar.

So far, my Friday looks like it'll be "fun".

Comment

Sainsbury's has been gone to and the new Viz obtained, along with sundry other items relevant to my interests

If they'd had a mirror in there, I could have seen somebody wearing a mask

And lunch has been a couple of sweet chilli chicken thighs from the tepid food counter

Turning a bit rainy out again

Comment

The WifeTM was complaining earlier about how sticky the kitchen floor was after my jam making session yesterday. She steamed the floor twice, still sticky.

...I've gone for plan B and washed the soles of her slippers.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              And the lawns are done, so now we have to wait and see if the local wildlife approves.
              It seems they're OK with it: when I went out to Sainsbury's there were three pigeons, a female blackbird, a magpie, and a squirrel all out there making the most of it

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                The WifeTM was complaining earlier about how sticky the kitchen floor was after my jam making session yesterday. She steamed the floor twice, still sticky.

...I've gone for plan B and washed the soles of her slippers.
                There's two sides to everything

Comment

In other news, I was able to help a colleague at ClientGov with a problem this morning. I didn't know anything about it, I literally just looked at a configuration file that was failing and thought "That line with the problem looks like it ought to be similar to this other line" and suggested that, which turned out to be the solution.

He's the co-author of the recently-published fourth edition of an O'Reilly book, and he's going to send me a copy by way of thanks, which is very nice of him. Just checked on Amazon and it's over fifty quid, with an RRP of over seventy!

Comment

In other news, I was able to help a colleague at ClientGov with a problem this morning. I didn't know anything about it, I literally just looked at a configuration file that was failing and thought "That line with the problem looks like it ought to be similar to this other line" and suggested that, which turned out to be the solution.

He's the co-author of the recently-published fourth edition of an O'Reilly book, and he's going to send me a copy by way of thanks, which is very nice of him. Just checked on Amazon and it's over fifty quid, with an RRP of over seventy!
                    No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

4 colleagues recently spent 2 hours trying to fix a problem where the actual problem was the fact there was a capital letter in a folder name.

In other news just discovered an advantage of being inside IR35 - then end client is paying us on May 8th even though it's a bank holiday

This may have revealed the end client to some people but it's not like I've not made that obvious in the recent past.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X