• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The car having thawed, I headed over to the old flat, whence I bore off three medium-sized boxes of old computer magazines, the 1980s midi hi-fi system that was passed down to me by my brother-in-law some years ago, the USB turntable I bought years ago and have never really used due to lack of space, and assorted smaller bits and bobs.

The magazines just about did me in; they're extremely heavy in bulk. But I managed to get them out to the car, and the other stuff was much easier to handle, and at this end I had the sack truck to bring them in. So they're now unpacked into the bottom shelves of a couple of the bookcases, and I think there's about two more trips of the same boxes to bring the rest over; but I'm not doing that today, as my back, knees and arms would all like a chance to recover

While I was putting the sack truck away, a chap appeared knocking on the door of the bit where the storerooms are. He wanted to know which was Block 2, as he had a job to do in the plant room there; I assume this is the room where the lift machinery or the boiler or whatever is, not some kind of conservatory. I agreed with his conjecture that it's probably the block parallel to the road, as the other one contains flat 1, and our block is too new to be second on the list - in fact, it's always referred to as "the new block" despite being about as old as I am. Anyway, he ended up wandering back in that direction so hopefully he found whatever piece of apparatus he was supposed to be working on

And with that done, lunch: the rest of the pâté on seedy bloomer toast

Comment

Oh, and as I was leaving, the Finnish girl from the first floor back was just coming in and greeted me with "Lovely weather today! I'm really enjoying it!"

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Oh, and as I was leaving, the Finnish girl from the first floor back was just coming in and greeted me with "Lovely weather today! I'm really enjoying it!"
        Those Fins are a bit bonkers!

Comment

The sun has intermittently made an appearance and there might even be a nice sunset later. However, the frost never thawed on my small patch of lawn.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Those Fins are a bit bonkers!
            Indeed! I laughed and said "Yes, it's just right for you"

Comment

Some of our lawn thawed, as I discovered when the ladder would sink in further than expected. Finished pruning another apple tree, just the really big one left to go now (will require help from a neighbour and up to 3 chain saws.
              Moved a gate at the end of the cut flower garden so it is now hanging the way The WifeTM wants it. I realise that means I now have to finish the path to it, but that can wait.
              Temp is showing as 1oC, and the sun is just disappearing through some distant trees.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Those Finns are a bit bonkers!
                Yes, I well remember the Finnish esteemed customer who wished to design a godemiche as his final year project*, was regularly found drunk out of his skull in the gutter on High Street, and was alleged to shoot cats up on the hill coz he was suffering withdrawal symptoms from hunting whatever they hunt in Finland (mostly Russians in the Winter War ).

Meanwhile on the 15th of April 2019 I was still searching for Strangelove Mater's birth certificate with no success, though finding a fine collection of death certificates for my long deceased aunts (one died at 7, the other at 23), also found the hospital bill for the one day stay in 1929 for the 7 year old: 1 guinea.

*Not allowed: the god bothering supervisor wouldn't stand for it. He did a water steriliser using UV leds instead.

In order to hunt in Finland each hunter must have:

a Finnish hunting card

hunting rights or a hunting permit granted by a land owner or holder of hunting rights

a firearms licence

in cervine and bear hunting: a certificate of a passed shooting test

for certain species of game, a hunting licence or an exemption
                Well I'm glad we've cleared that up.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 17 January 2023, 16:56.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Tea: chicken in red wine sauce with spicy potato wedges and peas. Very nice

Comment

Painkillers not working, so I’m not holding out much hope but anyway…

TFBSZ
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Karaoke this evening. Driving in the dark with all the potholes round here is not great. Seen 2 vehicles stopped by the road with hazard lights flashing by the same hole in last two days. Thye've finally put a cone by it.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X