• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning.

Thursday.

Dry.

Sunny.

Blue sky.

Cold. Very cold. Very very cold indeed: 9.5 deg in here, 7.5 deg in the kitchen, 2 deg in the leanto (the dishcloth feels frozen), 1.6 deg in the saltinghouse.

1011 mBar, 29.855 in Hg, 758.3 Torr, 14.663315 psi, (up from 1009 last night), 64% RH (GDR, hair), 52% (Lidl, electric).

Strewth it's chilly, there was ice on the inside of the double glazed bedroom window this morning.

Meanwhile back on 21st of March 2019 NF was off to that London to the RAF club for some reason, there was a debate on the spelling of Whisky or Whiskey, while I watched "The strange love of Martha Ivers" again, this time on the requisite 2nd dvd which had a soot & whitewash type of digital transfer.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I'm off to London this afternoon; to the RAF Club on Piccadilly, to be precise, for a talk this evening by historian Guy Walters on the Great Escape being less a heroic endeavour and more a complete balls-up, and not just for getting fifty PoWs murdered (I paraphrase)
    Ah. That explains it. .

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the wan sunshine and perishing cold. Only took a mile and a half before I could feel my fingers again.

Lunch: baked potato with cheese and baked beans, a red pippy corner yog, some of that dip stuff on 2 slices of bread, blackcurrant and marmalade on slices of toast, 0.91*1.59 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Y&Y about heatpumps and suchlike. Sliced Bread: waffling on about AA cells: Amazon el cheapo, Duracell, Energizer.

House insurance swapped to Admiral from the existing lot: £370 as against £630.

The box extracted from the garage now has the laser printer software on it & a test page printed out. Wonders will never cease. Pity about the lack of motherboard drivers for it. Makes the display a bit disappointing.

Tea: chilli con carne (penultimate portion, disappointing batch) with rice (Tesco version: cheaper than Morrisons), the last of the pear halves, a yog, more of that dip stuff on bread (it must be because it's so cold), 0.91*1.61 pints of good Glengettie tea.

This morning I did something quite odd: I went for my walk & forgot to clean my teeth before venturing out. It must be my age.

Entertainment: PM waffling on about something or other.

Wheeler Dealers S15 E25 1985 Merkur XR4Ti: the Ford Sierra with a 2.3 litre turbo charged engine. Removed the "Gary" intercooler, changed the exhaust from one that went all the way around the houses & back again to something a bit more straight through, changed the headlamps to Euro spec ones, reinstalled the aircon now the "Gary" intercooler is removed. Bought: $4k, Total: $6750, Sold: $7k5 to someone in the UK to take all the gubbins off it & use the shell (one assumes).

The secret genius of modern life: The Trainer.

Trucking Hell: S6 E11: the continuation of last week where they'd removed the low loader from under the construction machine: this week: removing the construction machine itself.

Wheeler Dealers S17 E10: yellow rusty VW Golf convertible with a broken roof, broken windscreen, shot suspension. Apparently it's a "Colour Concept" car. DVLA site doesn't know the number, so it's either been rereged, or scrapped. Bought: £1350 (with a replacement windscreen thrown in (not literally or it would break)), Total: £2676, Sold (presumably to someone either blind or colour blind): £3k1.

It wasn't very rusty, a little rust on the rear wheel arches, replaced the springs & shocks with coilover shocks, it cost £234 to replace the windscreen with the one they already had. Refinished the two part wheels. The roof was repaired by disconnecting the cutout from the key sensor on the steering lock & reconnecting the enable to the brake lights, so the roof worked with the key in & ignition on and a foot on the brake pedal.

It was Very Yellow indeed, inside & out. Brewer had the seats refinished which made them even more yellow. Reminded me of the very similar seats in that Uranco thing from years back.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 15 December 2022, 23:08.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

METAR EGFF 150950Z AUTO VRB01KT 9999 NCD M02/M07 Q1012 (-2 to -7)

Frost everywhere and cars well and truly frozen. Going nowhere today!

Comment

Bed stripped and will be washed. A task usually done on Sundays but I'd noticed a tear in the fitted sheet which has gotten worse and worse over the course of this week and I couldn't live with it for three more days.

The sheet is about 10 years old so I've gotten some good use out of it. Luckily I have a spare in the cupboard which will be coming out of its packet for a wash.

The fitted sheet for the other bedding set also has a tear in it but it was much smaller and repairable. It won't last long so a replacement will be sourced and put in the cupboard.

Comment

Morning denizens

Another cold one: -4°C until a few minutes ago, possibly getting to 1°C this afternoon, and heavy frost on the usual roofs. The barometers are back up a little at 1004/1012mB

I'm popping to Sainsbury's in a bit as I need toothpaste, and probably a few other bits. I would just go to Sainsbury's Local over by the new flat (and pay the 10p markup or whatever it is they charge for convenience) but the car could do with a top up as well; driving comparatively short distances back and forth across the city with heavy loads has it using fuel at a rate not seen since pre-pandemic days

Comment

I've run out of coffee beans people. This is not a drill!

Whilst I don't want to point the finger (as we do not have a blame culture in this household), I'm pretty sure I asked Mrs P is we needed anything from the supermarket just yesterday.

Comment

Man with van has decreed that Sunday would be a good day for him to shift me

Comment

MrsMac has had enough of the dust in the office, she was claiming it was a fire hazard on all the plugs, everything smells weird and I feel violated!
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

The man with the van who lives round the corner popped round to assess the situation. Lots of me saying "Don't worry about that, I'll have that shifted by then" and him saying "Don't bother, we'll get that in"

It's a bit late for Sainsbury's so I'm popping round to the flat with a fair bit of the remaining contents of the freezer. Then it'll be time for more books to be shelved to free the big boxes, because there's still stuff I'm going to take there before Sunday. And I can make a massive detour via the ring road to Sainsbury's on the way back

Comment

Freezer stuff taken round, after which I got more books shelved in the living room. Then I reassembled the DVD bookcase, which I thought I had the ideal spec for. Unfortunately, it's 2cm too wide due to a double socket in that corner

There's another place it can go, but TBH it's a cheap thing and not that good, and I'm thinking I might just ditch it and get something new from Ikea

Anyway, I got all of the remaining sofa and bookcase packaging sorted out and taken to the tip, then popped in the storage place to give notice, meaning I have until this time next week to get my remaining bits out of there.

Onwards from there to Sainsbury's to get a few bits and plenty of fuel for the car, pausing briefly en route to let out a Crouch Recovery low loader which was seeking to emerge from a small industrial area to the right

And now, finally, lunch: a Pukka sausage roll

Comment

Tea: ribs and chips

Comment

Working...
                      X