• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TFBSZ
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Humans aren't necessarily any better. When I moved here, I went into the bank branch up the road to tell them about the change of address. They somehow managed to use the new house number with the old street name to look up the postcode, rather than doing the usual thing of using the house number and postcode to look up the street name, and as a result my account had the wrong postcode for ages
      Much the same thing happened with the IET when I changed address.

Though it only concerned the house number, they managed to change the post code from SA to CA which meant stuff took forever to get here.

Eventually they changed it back to SA (not that I told them) but I still get the Cumbria version of the lectures thing.

Or at least I did, can't remember the last time I saw one of those.

Maybe they've stopped sending them altogether.

Which suits me since I've been to exactly one lecture in the 43 years of membership.

The IET magazine has gone on line so that's saved some paper but I don't get the free diary anymore.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

The car earlier was a Saab 93 something, though it didn't seem to need a lot doing to it. Then again, that lets them go into a little more depth about some of the bits they did have to do.

Then the early evening opal hunters had been replaced by some rubbish or other

Food was accompanied by some thing about crime detection technology on iPlayer, but it turned out to be one of those daytime programmes where they say the same stuff fifteen times, interspersed with talking heads uttering platitudes tangentially related to the subject

And finally, the new series of the opal hunters was good. Some of them disassembled, repaired, and reassembled a hydraulic ram on a digger with whatever kit they had to hand, which was interesting. Then another one bought a "house" for about $6000 which was actually an old mine dug into a slope (popular for turning into housing in the desert where they get too much sun) and discovered a seam of opal running through the back wall; the stones they managed to get were worth more than he'd paid for the place, though they did have to flee before getting all of it because the roof started caving in

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all
          CBS, etc, looks like it's going to be a warm one.

Comment

Morning denizens

"Mostly cloudy" out, though the cloud seems mostly thin enough for plenty of sunshine to get through. Currently 14°C but soaring to 20° later, and the barometers are optimistically up at 1017/1024mB

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              And finally, the new series of the opal hunters was good. Some of them disassembled, repaired, and reassembled a hydraulic ram on a digger with whatever kit they had to hand, which was interesting. Then another one bought a "house" for about $6000 which was actually an old mine dug into a slope (popular for turning into housing in the desert where they get too much sun) and discovered a seam of opal running through the back wall; the stones they managed to get were worth more than he'd paid for the place, though they did have to flee before getting all of it because the roof started caving in
              Somehow, during some frantic channel surfing, I caught the bit in the "house" where the roof started collapsing.

Morning.

Dry.

Wanly sunny.

Cool in here at 18.9 deg.

Cloudy with blue bits here & there, mostly there.

1022 mBar, 30.179 in Hg, 766.56 Torr, 14.822 psi, (up from 1020 last night), 72% RH.

Tuesday.

Still utterly knackered.

This morning's dream before waking included some mad construction work somewhere whilst a QFP (quad flat pack, one of those multipin horrors with pins all around the edge of the package) had a curious fault in the footprint which screwed up the PCB in some odd way with two pads merged on each of the four sides. I was glad to wake up.

Walk (abbreviated due to lack of interest & energy) walked in the grey gloom.

Lunch: baked potato with cheese & baked beans, a red unpippy corner yog, bramble jelly & marmalade sandwiches, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Freecell score: 89%, running average 85%.

Some minor massacre of the brambles. I turned my back for five minutes & they've grown 20 feet whilst I wasn't looking.

The greenhouse is almost full of desiccating greenery.

Tea: battered cod, a yog and some stewed gooseberries, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment:

Discovering Greta Garbo.

Farscape S4 E4 "lava's a many splendoured thing". The lava one.

Wheeler Dealers 1979 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade V8. Motor Mouth returns & mute goes on.

FBI S1 E20 "What lies beneath".

The Bad Skin clinic: the last ep of S4: young lady with zits, young chap who had his ears pinned back & ended up with a keloid for his trouble, a baby with atopic eczema, and a young lady who had childhood leukaemia who'd broken out in an odd rash, which, fortunately wasn't serious.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 5 July 2022, 22:08.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

Clear blue sky. Currently 19 degrees with a high of 22 expected. Cloud cover increasing but no precipitation forecast. Barometer up to 1025 mBar.

Busy morning. None of it work-related. I finally got through to Hastings Direct who duly informed me that my insurer had refused to accept my change of address. That would explain why I couldn't change it online then, I guess. So there'll be a refund in a week or so of the remainder of the policy, which is nice. Easily reinsured elsewhere so it's not like everyone hates Ealing.

Now to do some work.

Comment

Garden waste collected.
                  TMS on in the background.
                  "In a meeting" with a permie manager who is also listening to TMS.

Comment

Lunch: sausage rolls

A bloke came round this morning to do an energy efficiency certificate on the place. He wasn't wearing a mask and, immediately upon walking into my living room, had a coughing fit. I'm just hoping he has the same variant as I had the other week; I could do without getting a different one so soon

Comment

One of our visitors on Sunday night:

Comment

Working...
                      X