• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished "The Mighty Micro" by Christopher Evans.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mighty-Micr.../dp/0340259752

And I'm currently reading "The Silicon Civilisation" by Burkitt and Williams.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silicon-Civ.../dp/0491027303

The most amusing thing, apart from the Universal AI that should have appeared in the 1990s, is the concept of the age of retirement gradually dropping, until by now we should all be retired well before 50.

Damn, that was a good prediction.

Instead it's back to work til you drop, much like it was for my grandfather.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
      Instead it's back to work til you drop, much like it was for my grandfather.
      Yes, the idea that the capitalist greedheads would say "Well, there's enough for everyone now if we share it all!" at some point turned out to be a bit wide of the mark

More Breaking Bad S3 tonight: E5 Mas (TV Episode 2010), and E6 Sunset (TV Episode 2010)

Goodnight all

Comment

Of course those books were written before the 0.1% really stole the keys to the kingdom.

Morning all if all there be

Grey sky with a little bit of white.

No current precipitation.

Breezy.

Cottons in the WM.

Friday.

Comment

Ouch

Mild discomfort started about 18:00 yesterday. I took 2 paracetamol.
          By 22:00 it had moved to pain. I took 2 codeine and went to bed.
          Now comes the fun part. The surgeon had only made a small incision - maybe about 6cm long, but from that incision he was able to go quite a distance in all directions, so basically from my left jugular vein almost round to my spine and from the base of my neck up to level with the top of my ear.
          Trying to sleep becomes a matter of trying to find the least painful position to rest your head.
          The codeine worked for a couple of hours.

I am tired and in pain this morning.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

^^ <- very gentle manly

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Ouch

Now comes the fun part. The surgeon had only made a small incision - maybe about 6cm long, but from that incision he was able to go quite a distance in all directions, so basically from my left jugular vein almost round to my spine and from the base of my neck up to level with the top of my ear.
              Trying to sleep becomes a matter of trying to find the least painful position to rest your head.

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

morning

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey start out there; 12°C out; ~19° within. But dry

I've got to head south later, as my siblings and their respective spouses have gone away on holiday at the same time (not all together) so I'm going to see my parents, make sure they're OK, take them shopping tomorrow, and so forth.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Ouch

<- manly

Comment

Thanks for all the hugs.
                      I remember that film - How to get ahead in contracting advertising, but mine wasn’t another head - it was a small bump on the surface, but almost all of it was deeper.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X