• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I should start sorting out old magazines.
    Two of the tallest standalone stacks have now been reduced to assorted smaller stacks. Roughly five feet will be going to the tip, and about three feet staying, though the former could be increased at the expense of the latter on a second pass.

In among the variety of periodicals I found a 1988 issue of The Games Machine with a review of…
    I thought this game was rubbish even when I was coding it: Dream Warrior : Tarann Ltd. : Free Borrow & Streaming : Internet Archive

28% it got. Generous, in my view. My boss did the Spectrum version, also reviewed, which got 27%

And this from a prospective client in Cheltenham, though I gather they went down the tubes not long after I visited in late summer 2000:

Comment

And this from a prospective client in Cheltenham, though I gather they went down the tubes not long after I visited in late summer 2000:

A lucky escape there then.

Didn't that Zeity cove work there for a while?

In more interesting news (?), tea/dinner this evening was more of yesterday's well matured lamb, which tasted a lot more like lamb this evening than it did yesterday.

It was nice enough.

I think there's only 5 or 6 more legs of lamb in the freezer, so stocks are pretty high.

Following which, for no readily apparent reason, I decided it would be A Good Idea to etch some pcbs with the recently acquired etching machine.

Having dug all the protective gear out of various obscure hiding places, the UV exposure box was pressed into use, the now ancient bottle of developing fluid was decanted into an icecream carton ( 2 litre of course ), and 3 pcbs were exposed & developed & etched.

They look ok, so the timing on the UV box must be more or less rightish.

I'll drill 'em in "work" tomorrow, it'll be sommat to do.

Rather than reading Wireless Worlds from 1946 which occupied a fair part of today, other than the walk into town at lunch time.

It's a bit of a trek it must be said, Ye Olde Sloughe of Desponde might have been half way up a hill, but it was a damn sight easier to go shopping at lunch time.

With a mere 13 days to go I have reached the "I don't give a toss" stage, so taking more than an hour for lunch is just one of those things.

I should start sorting out old magazines. I find it easier to get motivated now the things that were in the way are no longer in the way, being in the space formerly occupied by the old bookcases; having to spend (what seems like) ages (but is really only a few minutes) shifting stuff around before being able to start is highly demoralising.
      I'm looking forward to the new pigsty sheds, once they get built.

Then, maybe, I'll be able to distribute stuff a bit more rationally than at present.

Anyone know anything about bricklaying?
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 13 May 2019, 19:57.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Box of assorted junk sorted out (mainly binned), and now the path along the north face of the living room to the primary deposit of magazines by the window bay is clear.

I'm inclining to the idea of binning all the PCWs after, say, the early 1990s. Once it got to be about an inch thick it was just adverts, group tests of DX2 clones that varied in performance by 0.1%, and articles about optimising device drivers for Windows for Workgroups.

It started going downhill once they got rid of the monthly column of assembly language routines contributed by readers, I reckon

Anyway, I'll keep them for now but I foresee a drastic thinning of the herd, particularly those later issues. They've got an almost complete set at TNMOC at Bletchley, should I ever need to look something up

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          A lucky escape there then.

Didn't that Zeity cove work there for a while?
          So legend tells

Following which, for no readily apparent reason, I decided it would be A Good Idea to etch some pcbs with the recently acquired etching machine.

Having dug all the protective gear out of various obscure hiding places, the UV exposure box was pressed into use, the now ancient bottle of developing fluid was decanted into an icecream carton ( 2 litre of course ), and 3 pcbs were exposed & developed & etched.

They look ok, so the timing on the UV box must be more or less rightish.

I'll drill 'em in "work" tomorrow, it'll be sommat to do.

Anyone know anything about bricklaying?
          Sounds like a hardware problem to me

Comment

So legend tells

Sounds like a hardware problem to me
            yeh, - me too

Comment

This evening's entertainment, aside from the police helicopter which seems to have mistaken me for Walter White, was provided by the last 25 minutes of "The Imitation Game (2014)" with that Cumberbatch bloke.

The Imitation Game (2014) - IMDb

I do find it rather difficult to believe that 5 knew about John Cairncross while he was at Bletchley.

TFBSZ.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 13 May 2019, 21:15.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

This evening's entertainment, aside from the police helicopter which seems to have mistaken me for Walter White, was provided by the last 25 minutes of "The Imitation Game (2014)" with that Cumberbatch bloke.

The Imitation Game (2014) - IMDb

I do find it rather difficult to believe that 5 knew about John Cairncross while he was at Bletchley.

TFBSZ.
                Most of that film is hard to believe, such as the entire battle order of the North Atlantic fleet being laid out on the wall of a hut in Buckinghamshire that wasn't even a Naval establishment

Tea tonight has been ribs and chips, this week with the remarkable tomato-based barbecue sauce I created last week. Very nice, it was

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Pleasantly warm afternoon, hilarious goings on at the client.

Cadbury's haven't produced anything as flakey as their network. (that's the polite version, the adult version is: "If only your wife went down as often as the network")

And I'm getting asked the question: "why is the database slow?" (I'm not a DBA)
                  I ask them to run tests. Where the network is stable, the results are fine. No slow database, no timeouts, etc.

Where the network is flakey, the results are slower.

Could it be the database?

DB2 in bed with SQL server with no IBM experts, its never going to end well!

trust me hanging is too good for our network. Dying is more like it.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

As I watched the original the other night, tonight's movie was The Taking of Pelham 123 (2009). A lot of remakes are crap, but they do an excellent job with this one

And then, having lost track of it ages ago, back to Homeland, specifically S6E8: Alt.truth, in which bad things continue to happen to people who, when you think about it, are also bad. (I think we're supposed to think they're good people because they work for the US government.)

Goodnight all

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X