• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight's film was Memento (2000), in which a bloke with a brain injury that prevents him from forming new memories, and thus from remembering anything for more than a few minutes, nonetheless attempts to track down the people who killed his wife and inflicted said brain damage.

The filmmaker attempts to convey some sense of the fragmentary and disordered nature of the guy's understanding by telling the story in a similarly fragmented way, with the order of events jumbled up so that you have to put them back together as best you can as you go along. Unfortunately, this makes it rather wearing to watch, though I think I just about managed to sort it all out by the end. A bit more trouble than it's worth, though

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all.

Another dreary day in west Manchester. Cloudy with a chance of persisting down. I'll be amazed if the roads aren't at least mildly moist later.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Tonight's film was Memento (2000), in which a bloke with a brain injury that prevents him from forming new memories, and thus from remembering anything for more than a few minutes, nonetheless attempts to track down the people who killed his wife and inflicted said brain damage.

The filmmaker attempts to convey some sense of the fragmentary and disordered nature of the guy's understanding by telling the story in a similarly fragmented way, with the order of events jumbled up so that you have to put them back together as best you can as you go along. Unfortunately, this makes it rather wearing to watch, though I think I just about managed to sort it all out by the end. A bit more trouble than it's worth, though

Goodnight all
        I watched that a little while ago, in July as it happens:

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
        This evening's epic was "Memento" with Guy Pearce and Joe Pantoliano, and that woman from CSI.

Memento (2000) - IMDb

It was confusing but got to the beginning eventually.

I thought it was pretty good.

Apparently some dvds will play the film in chronological order by some weird easter egg jiggery pokery.

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
        This evening's epic is "The Boys from Brazil(1978)" with Gregory Peck, Larry Olivier, James Mason.

The Boys from Brazil (1978) - IMDb

We're getting into remarkably advanced genetic engineering for 1978.

"If only you knew what I've seen with your eyes" sort of thing.

It was ok in its way.

It only needed a touch of Wagner's Valkyrie to give one the urge to annex the Sudetenland all over again again.

It's a curious that such a thing as cloning a long dead human could have been imagined to have happened in the mid 60s.

I'm not altogether sure it could be done these 50 years later.

Is it possible that this explains the existence of Jacob Rees Mogg?

It would appear to be the only rational explanation available.

Morning.

Dark, with a glorious full moon.

Dry.

Cold.

5.9 in the laundry room & it'll get colder if yesterday's measurements are anything to go by.

Dawn's rosy fingers were duly present, and we are now bathed in golden light through the murk over Margam.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 25 October 2018, 07:27.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Good morning all!

Day 39 of permydom.

Back in the office, Bolton on't 'ill!

Just had 3 days (paid) leave - which is nice!

Had a trip to Robin Hood's Bay yesterday looking for fossils, found some, brought a couple of sedimentary rock nodules for little boy to split to see if there's anything inside. There are fossils on the outside of them so who knows...

Got a stinking cold - which is a bastard, nearly had a day off sick today, I guess I still have the contractor frame of mind!

Have a good day all!
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Morning denizens

Sunny out, if a bit chilly at 12°C

Busy afternoon ahead: need to pack, drive down to London, check into the hotel, get the car into its underground lair, and get to the Django user group meeting which kicks off at 18:30.

Still, the last of these is only up the Tottenham Court Road near the Post Office Tower, so not that far to walk from Bloomsbury Square. I reckon if I aim to set off at 14:00 to 14:30, I should be all right

Comment

Congestion charge paid. Normally I aim to arrive after it, but this evening's meeting put paid to that

I thought of signing up for autopay, but there's a £10 annual charge, for a saving of £1 per day driving in Central London. I only drive down there about three times a year, so…

Comment

Big bowl of Scotch broth out of the freezer for lunch, with a thick chunk of wholemeal bread

Comment

Some good news. I pinged Diver who will try to drop in to CUK very soon. Sounds like all is well with him which is fantastic.

First Zeity is back. Then Churchill. Then Diver.

All we need is Brillo and AndyW now.....

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
                    Some good news. I pinged Diver who will try to drop in to CUK very soon. Sounds like all is well with him which is fantastic.

First Zeity is back. Then Churchill. Then Diver.

All we need is Brillo and AndyW now.....
                    Well two out of three ain't bad
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

The requisite dithering and flapping about has been completed, so I'm ready for the off! Next stop, London (not counting any stopping because of roadworks near J13 of the M1)!

Comment

Working...
                      X