• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Dug out some code I haven't touched in getting on for four years, for doing natural language analysis of text to identify possible place names - nothing very clever on my end; it's using a Python library for text analysis. After a few hours in the debugger it's now updated from Python 2.7 to 3.6, and from Django 1.6 to 2.1.

It's not bad, but there's another natural language analysis library for Python which I need to bring in now so I can compare their results with one another

Most of the breakage in my code was in the Epub parser (which, were I to write it now, I would probably do a bit differently). But it was just trivial stuff like updating it to use Python 3's own path traversal library and so on.

But the whole thing eventually managed to download Three Men in a Boat from Project Gutenberg, extracted the text of the book, and identified most or all of the place names therein

I want to be able to run it as a Lambda function eventually - have a queue of books to be analysed, which can be saved to S3 as they're downloaded from PG, which will in turn trigger the Lambda function to do an analysis of the full text and send the resulting possible matches to a web app where I can review them at leisure to weed out the false positives
    very good, - right, - erm, why?

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
      ahh, 'cos you can?

Comment

ahh, 'cos you can?
        Among other things

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          Oddly, von Ryan's Express springs to mind too, with that Francis Sinatra chap.

Von Ryan's Express (1965) - IMDb

I think I have both of these.
          And indeed I do have both, and watched Francis in "Von Ryan's Express".

Very good it was too.

The end credits would appeal to NF inasmuch as they seem to consist of a brief list of the cast and "The End".

The dvd was another one that benefitted mightily from being washed in the washing up water before being playing.

It looked as if chips had been eaten off it, but scrubbed up quite well.

Worth 99p of anyone's money, in contrast to "The Train" which cost a princely £1.99.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Among other things
            Possibly to be fed to the mapping tool to start generating a heat map of places named in literature?
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Just found a reference to "Harold the bastard" who used to work for Siliconix back in the day.
              I was in the midst of the weekly backup in the Tardis one Monday morning, waiting for the copy to complete when in walked Harold The Bastard, over from The Valley, being shown around by the Operations Manager.

I was sitting on a bench talking to someone.

I seem to recall coming out with a (for me on a Monday morning) bright & cheerful "good morning" which went down like a lead balloon.

I think that I was sitting more or less where someone's back garden is now.

Comment

And indeed I do have both, and watched Francis in "Von Ryan's Express".

Very good it was too.

The end credits would appeal to NF inasmuch as they seem to consist of a brief list of the cast and "The End".

The dvd was another one that benefitted mightily from being washed in the washing up water before being playing.

It looked as if chips had been eaten off it, but scrubbed up quite well.

Worth 99p of anyone's money, in contrast to "The Train" which cost a princely £1.99.
                Upgrade your systems while you can , peeps

John Lewis pulls the plug on DVD players - BBC News

Comment

A night of TV rather than movies for me, starting with The Sweeney S1E3: Thin Ice. One of those where they go for a jocular tone throughout, which never really works too well IMO, but it was OK, and at least it wasn't those annoying "Australians".

And after that, the first two episodes of The World at War in the Blu-ray HD restoration. Not so jocular :nazi:

Goodnight all

Comment

A dull, dismal day outside. Not much better inside, but at least the coffee's above average.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Upgrade your systems while you can , peeps

John Lewis pulls the plug on DVD players - BBC News

One has an adequate, not to say excessive, sufficiency of such things.

Starry and Bible Black.

Dry.

Cold but the witch was a bit warmer today.

Windless.

Slightly misty.

Sun coming up like thunder.

Quite golden.

Laundry room min yesterday was 6.9 deg, today it's 7.6.

Comment

Working...
                      X