• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    The deep fat fryer is now cleaner than it's been in some considerable time

Just finished getting a batch of chips through Phase I. Give them half-an-hour or so to dry and I can start the fryer up for Phase II.

They'd do better with a longer drying period, but it's a bit late for that, and it's quite warm today - 23°C according to the pocket oracle.
    I found that sticking them in the fridge for half an hour or so made a big difference. They dried faster and being colder when they went into the fat seemed to result on them being much crispier when cooked.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      I found that sticking them in the fridge for half an hour or so made a big difference. They dried faster and being colder when they went into the fat seemed to result on them being much crispier when cooked.
      I had enough time to give them just over an hour in the freezer after Phase II, which wasn't enough to deep freeze them to the optimal degree, but did help them crisp up nicely in the second frying, Phase III

And I had them with a very nice - and quite large - M&S porterhouse steak, which was delicious

Comment

This evening's televisual treats started with "The Other Man" with Liam Neeson and Antonio Banderas.

It lasted all of 10 minutes until I realised it was some kind of gunfree romcom, rather than Taken4.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0974613/

It was replaced by "Ted" with Mark Wahlberg, Seth MacFarlane and Mila Kunis.

It was remarkably foul mouthed & very funny in parts.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1637725/?ref_=nv_sr_2
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          This evening's televisual treats started with "The Other Man" with Liam Neeson and Antonio Banderas.

It lasted all of 10 minutes until I realised it was some kind of gunfree romcom, rather than Taken4.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0974613/

It was replaced by "Ted" with Mark Wahlberg, Seth MacFarlane and Mila Kunis.

It was remarkably foul mouthed & very funny in parts.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1637725/?ref_=nv_sr_2

+1 for Ted, not my usual fare but Mrs V & I were wetting ourselves.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Tonight's main feature was a rewatch of Olympus Has Fallen (2013), mainly because I wanted to see how a very noisy film worked out with the hearing aids, and that is a very noisy film indeed. I remember last time I watched it, a bit over a year ago, I found it very annoying that I had to crank the volume right up to hear what people were saying, then there'd be a big explosion or a load of shooting or something and I'd have to quickly turn it down again to avoid annoying the neighbours.

Turned out pretty well: I cranked up the volume until I could comfortably hear the dialogue, and checked it again when the mayhem started, and it was still well below the volume I tended to have it at normally (i.e. dependent on subtitles to follow dialogue properly) before now

(And the sound of my trouser legs brushing against each other when I walk is a lot less intrusive than it was on Monday, so my brain must be getting used to them and working out what to filter out as unimportant )

And after the mayhem, a further episode of Fargo S2, which had plenty of mayhem but didn't make such a fuss over it. I think I like this one even more than S1, which was pretty good

Goodnight all

Comment

19.6 in the living room, while it's 16.1 now & min in the laundry room.

Still misty but there are indications that the overcast is a bit thinner.

Even hints of a little sunshine.

Not drizzling at the moment.

Which is a plus.

<hiatus>

Sun's out.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 23 August 2018, 07:41.

Comment

Morning all It was murky earlier, now it's raining.

Last night's dinner was griddled tuna with roasted home grown tomatoes, garlic bread made with home grown garlic and half a mushroom between two of us. No, it wasn't a small mushroom. It was a cep/porcini/penny bun/boletus edulis that weighed in at around 250g, freshly foraged by me while walking The Dog (tw) earlier.

Found another one of similar size on this morning's walk, so more mushrooms for us tonight. Given the rain, I expect tomorrow there will be lots up.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

In "work" returning some junk that didn't work.

Would have been a good idea to test it before hand of course.

And I've been down the dump to clear the decks a bit at home.

It's very quiet at 9 a.m. on a Thursday.

Odd that.

Parted company with my little saucepan that so sadly sprang a leak last night.

Odd that the ancient ones are still going strong while the comparatively new one is toast.

Comment

Morning all.

Car dropped of at the garage for it's first MOT.

Lots of rain overnight so no need to rush out and water the veg, although the tomatoes are due for a feed.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Morning denizens

The rain came and went as I slept, and now barely a trace of it remains. Patchy sunshine at the moment, and not too hot

Comment

Working...
                      X