• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare roast beef and mierikswortel sandwich for lunch, - the last of a jar which came with me last year

Comment

Sausages on soft white rolls for lunch

Comment

There is some item of post that requires a signature waiting for me at the sorting office, out beyond the Crab Nebula somewhere, so I must venture forth. I think sunglasses will be needed for the journey

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          There is some item of post that requires a signature waiting for me at the sorting office, out beyond the Crab Nebula somewhere, so I must venture forth. I think sunglasses will be needed for the journey
          Mystery solved: it was a book, which is handy as I noticed there are a few cubic inches of the flat not yet filled with book

And I remembered to pick up my prescription too

It's very warm out there

Comment

Mystery solved: it was a book, which is handy as I noticed there are a few cubic inches of the flat not yet filled with book

And I remembered to pick up my prescription too

It's very warm out there
            Perhaps you ought to try buying and assembling a new bookcase. ISTR it didn't take long last time you tried.

Comment

Originally posted by covbob View Post
              Perhaps you ought to try buying and assembling a new bookcase. ISTR it didn't take long last time you tried.
              The current plan is to line a further wall with bookcases, but first I need to sort stuff out so there's enough room to assemble them

Comment

One might need to consider the floor loading of said book collection otherwise it might just end up in the downstairs flat.

The occupants of which would also be somewhat flat.

I had about 3 tonnes/tons of books in my library at one time.

Many of which, being databooks, went in the paper recycling fairly recently, having moved from said box room to the laundry room, thence to the garage, and hither and thither to the dump, never having been opened in the 20 years they'd been in my possession.

So if anyone wants a 1985 Mitel databook on comms ics, you now know where to find some.

I wonder if there's any value in 1990s Maplin catalogues.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  One might need to consider the floor loading of said book collection otherwise it might just end up in the downstairs flat.

The occupants of which would also be somewhat flat.
                  This place is so solidly built that a few hundred books shouldn't be a problem

Victorian factory owners, which is what most of the original occupants of these villas were, seem to have prized solidity in their housing. Drilling a single hole in the internal brick walls is enough to discharge a drill battery; I have two drills, each with two batteries, so any project involving those walls has to be planned out four screws at a time

Comment

Drilling a single hole in the internal brick walls is enough to discharge a drill battery; I have two drills, each with two batteries, so any project involving those walls has to be planned out four screws at a time
                    First world problem.

I solve this by having 2 or 3 18V battery drills.

Which I don't use for masonry drilling other than a pilot hole.

Then there's the "Challenge" 500 Chinese Watt hammer drill that's soldiered on since my ancient B&D died about 10 years ago.

If that isn't man enough, then there's a larger drill that Strangelove Pater purchased after the demise of the B&D.

If that's not big enough, then there's the Lidl(tm) SDS+ hammer drill.

If that's not big enough then there's the Screwfix "Titan" SDS+ hammer drill.

And in the event that I'm really really desperate & need to knock the house down, there there's the Lidl(tm) jackhammer that's so heavy I can only just pick it up.

I suspect this last requires plugging into the cooker socket to avoid opening the breaker when you turn the fecker on.

The Titan has been used 3 times to drill 117mm diameter feckoff holes for fitting extractor fans.

This was when I discovered that the Strangelove parents' house was built in part from something approaching an engineering brick.

In other other news, I see that the R4 "comedy" this evening is <click> something I don't listen to, and had hoped it would die with its previous chairman but sadly it had the current miserablist grafted on instead.

Now if only they'd got Morrisey as chair we could all cut our wrists together.

In other other other news, tea this evening was more of yesterday's roast lamb sans the lamb's heart.

It was nice enough.

Followed by stewed raspberries & custard as sweet.

It was Very Nice.

<DS attempts to get more raspberry pips out of a missing filling with very little success>

In other other other news, this evening's entertainment was the season finale of Hawaii 50, followed by "Bad Company(2002)" with Anthony Hopkins (Sir) and Chris Rock (Mr).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0280486/

Despite being a Bruchheimer film it was quite enjoyable.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 25 June 2018, 21:44.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

This place is so solidly built that a few hundred books shouldn't be a problem

Victorian factory owners, which is what most of the original occupants of these villas were, seem to have prized solidity in their housing. Drilling a single hole in the internal brick walls is enough to discharge a drill battery; I have two drills, each with two batteries, so any project involving those walls has to be planned out four screws at a time
                      i'm in the long process (because, most of the time i can't be arsed) of disposing of 800 odd paperback books (mostly scifi and fantasy).
                      i have most of them as Ebooks, but it's not quite the tactile experience i've associated with reading since i was a small person

Comment

Working...
                      X