• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tea tonight has been a couple of Barnsley chops, with chips (Suffolk Maris Pipers this time, and very good indeed), peas, and gravy; and it was dead nice

One of the chops was about big enough on its own, but the other wasn't, and I decided the only way to address this situation was to have both

Comment

Yesterday's dvd purchasing has been revealed to be a bit duplicated: already got "Heist" with Gene Hackman, Danny De Vito et al, and watched it about 6 months ago.

Also already have "The Good Shepherd" with Matt Damon and Robert De Nero, which is also annoying.

£2 down the drain there then.

So it ended up with "Welcome to Mooseport" with Gene Hackman.

Welcome to Mooseport (2004) - IMDb

Sort of romcom with no guns.

Quite funny (LOL funny) in parts, once I'd stopped fretting over the irritating duplicates which started off my Inspector Dreyfus twitch again.

Comment

Tonight's film was Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, being one of those Jack Ryan films. This one is, I understand, a "reboot" which is Hollywood-speak for taking an existing franchise, ditching all the long-established backstory, and starting all over again from scratch.

This means they are basically launching an entirely new character but using the name of the old one to hopefully fool the existing audience into buying into it, rather as if Conan Doyle had started writing stories about a chap called Sherlock Holmes who solved crimes with a partner called Derek Jarvis, some time after The Sign of Four

Anyway, it all still comes down to some photogenic actor bloke pretending to work for the CIA and getting into a load of barney. As they had to dick around spending half an hour re-establishing a (completely, or mostly, different) backstory for the protagonist, and as they also clearly didn't have the storytelling nous to do so in a gripping and exciting way, that bit was pretty dull; but once that was out of the way and they got him to Moscow, it all started kicking off and proved reasonably satisfactory.

So a qualified "watch" rating from me, with the proviso that if you get bored with the start you can skip the bit from just after when the main title finally appears (there's some preamble lasting five or ten minutes which is moderately OK) to around the thirty minute mark or so and you won't really miss anything you can't pick up from the rest of the film

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all s’murky out.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning.

Was foggy, now sunny.

Comment

It's belting down outside. Real murrain of beasts stuff.

Thanks to the council not clearing the drains our road was starting to flood as I left this morning - large amounts of standing water all over the road. Hopefully it eases off a bit soon.

Comment

morning
                dreich here this morning

Comment

The sun has got his hat on hip hip hip hooray.

Comment

I was like a drowned rat cycling in.

The streets of London are a lot cleaner now as most of the dirt is on my jacket. I suppose I will have to wash it....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

I was like a drowned rat cycling in.

The streets of London are a lot cleaner now as most of the dirt is on my jacket. I suppose I will have to wash it....
                      Just to be pedantic, drowned rats can’t cycle as they are dead.

...but apart from your failed analogy, your post has warmed the cockles of my heart.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X