• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by zeitghost; 12 August 2016, 08:20.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
      Gosh how very Victorian.

This house shared a supply with next door which must have been very irritating when my mother was filling the washing machine on a Monday.

It got done away with at least 40 years ago, probably to next door's great relief when they got their own feed.

It's chucking it down here too & has been all evening. The river looked extremely full when I came home.
      We asked the water company about putting us on a separate supply and a water meter. They quoted £10,000 just for our house. Strangely enough that was more than I would pay them, also if one house did it the other two had to as well.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Today will feature no work...

Instead I will document in minute detail what others need to do... Sadly it will take longer (by about 5 times) to do that than it would take me to do it myself... but as they insist on giving the useless permanent guy work to do I need to tell him what to do while I'm away in a way that won't screw it up...
        Last edited by eek; 2 August 2016, 07:57.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Last edited by zeitghost; 12 August 2016, 08:19.

Comment

Oh, I've just remembered the chap up the road who bought Llantwit Cottage.

The water company wanted loadsamoney (though not £10k) for a new feed, so he got a metal detector & found the old one.
            It's about 10 metres of pipe required. The stop cock for the three houses is at the end of a gravel path. I own the path. The gravel is laid on soil. There's no hardcore/substrate, it's soil. The current pipe goes along the path for 4 metres, turns right and goes into the neighbour's. It splits in their kitchen, then the run to our house goes under their living room, under an outbuilding and into our kitchen.
            The replacement pipe would run 10 metres along the path from the stop cock. It would go straight into our kitchen.

So, that's £1000 per metre for copper pipe.

Comment

Comment

Impressive. Except it's £1000/metre of alkathene these days.
                True, in fact I probably have about 10m of that left over from when I put in the water supply for the chickens

Comment

You'll need a license after September 1st.
                  I know. Ah well, I had a good run

Comment

The chap who sits next to me has brought in a load of homemade sausage rolls

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X