• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gawd, what a load of hassle

Got in the Orion, and realised as I was leaving the multi-storey that the right indicator was blinking really fast, indicating (see what I did there?) that one of the bulbs had gone.

I ought to have stopped and checked it out, but I figured I'd make it home and just be extra careful about assuming people didn't know if I was going right. I wasn't even sure if it was the front or back one.

Great run home, for the most part, and I stopped off at the garage to see how the Toyota was coming along. Turns out the tank was expected yesterday, then today, and now ought to be there tomorrow; and Toyota's spares people reckon it's the last one in stock, so it'd better not get drilled again.

But I've got to go up to the Peak District tomorrow for a family do, collecting one of my nieces from her school on the way, and I don't think my brother wants his daughter carried in my rattly old Orion. Also, the brakes have got a bit juddery when warm, so I don't want to take it up hill and down dale until I've had them dealt with.

So now I've got to try to sort out a hire car for first thing tomorrow morning.

Oh, it turned out to be the rear indicator bulb that had gone. I replaced it with one that's been in the glove compartment for over ten years, which lasted a minute or so before also blowing. Luckily there's a car parts shop almost opposite, and a brand new bulb from there has managed to last for several flashes. Fingers crossed

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Oh, it turned out to be the rear indicator bulb that had gone. I replaced it with one that's been in the glove compartment for over ten years, which lasted a minute or so before also blowing.
      Did much the same with the Big Bloo ZeitVolvo some (10) years ago.

The "new" bulb had been rattling around in the boot for 15 years (probably 20) and lasted for exactly 1 brake application before turning black & dying.

Halfords crap bulb.

Say no more.

Well that's my theory anyway.

I think it was made in Poland. Before the Wall fell.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
        Did much the same with the Big Bloo ZeitVolvo some (10) years ago.

The "new" bulb had been rattling around in the boot for 15 years (probably 20) and lasted for exactly 1 brake application before turning black & dying.

Halfords crap bulb.

Say no more.

Well that's my theory anyway.

I think it was made in Poland. Before the Wall fell.
        Mine was from Wilko, so probably similar build quality and endurance - two for a quid, IIRC

Comment

Oh FFS

The car hire company - who were definitely not answering the phone when I tried to call them twenty minutes ago - just phoned. Turns out they can't have the car ready for 9am, so I'll have to get it at 10am, which leaves me on an incredibly tight schedule.

Also, they advertise that they'll collect you from your home ("subject to availability") but they haven't got anybody available

So this means I have a two-mile walk to get there, along the old Great Central Railway (which admittedly is only a minute's walk over the road), through a nature reserve, and then up a steep hill. Ah well, I probably need the exercise. Or maybe it'll be wazzing it down tomorrow and I'll have to get a cab instead.

AAAAAAAGH!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            It's grey, windy and wet here.
            It's black, windy and wet here.

The combination of wind, wind direction and rain have managed to find the leak in the roof again.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              Windy and grey here!

Hope the rain stays off as the roof will start leaking again.

Tried to get the builder bloke to give me a rough idea of costs, the builders over here refuse point blank to do so. Annoying.
              Hadn't seen that when I did my update on my leaking roof. Man coming on Monday to have a look. Not sure what he can say because it's a three storey house.

When they put the scaffolding up, though, at least we can get the chimney lined and a wood burning stove put in.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                I was in a partitioned off bit next to bobble hat lady and could hear her talking to her wornout son. She was explaining that she had been there long enough now (3hrs) and that it was time they let her just die. He explained that she was only in for an x-ray and this was in no way part of her funeral arrangements. Then his phone rang with the superman theme. Carol says she's fine and sends her love and no Mother you're not dying.
                Last time I was in A&E, I was in the next cubicle from a smackhead who had an ulcer on his leg which needed treating. But he'd been in the hospital in Blackburn before and ran away because he was scared of the operation to fix him up, so all they would offer him was cocodamol (not much good as a painkiller when you inject heroin three times a day, as he pointed out) and the number of a taxi company to get him to the other hospital (or the free bus).

I was so tempted to press the call button and ask if they knew when my ambulance was likely to come to transfer me, but I thought better of it!
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Bought new car for Mrs Eek. Vauxhall Zafira tourer ex demo with the lifetime warranty that Vauxhall have stopped selling. And its silver rather than black...
                  My condolences.
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    Quick - buy them - someone will be wanting them soon!
                    kitchenexile.nl is available according to mijndomein.nl

Will set about registering them this weekend.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                      Hope his OP has gone well, even in minor stuff being done on family it's a bit of a nerve racking time.
                      Thanks, he's still in a lot of pain and it will take up to 6-8 weeks for the full effect to kick in. We might see some improvement in a couple of weeks.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                      X