• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    The ex-lustee buys those in bulk.
    Why is (s)he an ex-lustee?

Did (s)he wipe snot on sleeve or something, thus killing the dream? Or perhaps meet with an unfortunate incident ruining her/his good looks?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      It's a version control system. You add your files (code, etc.) to its repository. Then, when you change them and your changes work, you commit the changes. If your changes don't work, you can roll back to the previous version and start again.

Also, people can get their own copy of the repository, so they can do the same. Then later you can each add your changes back to the master repository. It warns you if there are any conflicts (e.g. you and Freda both changed foo.asm) that it can't work out for itself, so you can manually get things in order.

If a customer says they've found a bug in version 1.2.3 and you're working on 2.3.4, you can easily switch back to the 1.2.3 files and work on them to fix their bug, releasing it as 1.2.4, then change back to your 2.3.4 files and pick up where you left off.

It's the best of those kind of things, but still gets very confusing from time to time
      I'm glad you explained that. I thought git was the name you call your colleague when he manages to wipe a branch from the svn repository.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        I'm glad you explained that. I thought git was the name you call your colleague when he manages to wipe a branch from the svn repository.
        It was created by Linus Torvalds, of Linux fame. He explains the origin of the name thus: "I'm an egotistical bastard, and I name all my projects after myself. First 'Linux', now 'git'."

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Morning!

Have a lot of non-earning travel this week. Mr C is not amused (I wish he was a bit more laid back on this, it's the nature of the work that I have to travel around the country for interviews ).
          Just tell him that absence makes the heart grow fonder and if he's bored he can sort out the washing and your tea as you need to be on top of your game.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Why is (s)he an ex-lustee?
            Zeity got her some diamonds, walking home he passed the 'Bamboo Garden - oriental cuisine' Zeity saw red and the rest is buried under the patio history.
            Last edited by vetran; 7 January 2015, 09:53.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Right I'm off into town

Comment

This is definitely a "Close your eyes and think of the money" contract. At least the rate actually is good

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  This is definitely a "Close your eyes and think of the money" contract. At least the rate actually is good
                  Doyou mean it's a keep quiet and enjoy the entertainment contract.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

test please delete

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Doyou mean it's a keep quiet and enjoy the entertainment contract.
                    And try and keep your head down (if you can find a monitor to hide behind, so much the better).

Don't look anyone in the eye.

Or bathe.

Hopefully you'll be left alone to get on with it.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

<test>does this post have a title? </test>

How strange. Does anyone know why certain posts get the thread included i.e. Cojak's post above?

I thought it was a tapatalk thing but clearly not.

Comment

Working...
                      X