• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brushing up on AngularJS. It's constructed on principles that are fundamentally wrong and misguided, but it seems to be the new hotness that all the prospective clients believe, mistakenly, they must have

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Brushing up on AngularJS. It's constructed on principles that are fundamentally wrong and misguided, but it seems to be the new hotness that all the prospective clients believe, mistakenly, they must have
      I'm glad its not just me thinking that. I've looked at Angular Backbone and Ember over the years and the only 1 I like is Ember...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
        My pimpmail (which I can't be arsed to post in my famous Doh! thread) was from the inevitable R*ch*rd J*yce.

It was for someone with design experience of aluminium castings.
        I had one today for a site engineer with a major telco. Must have experience of working on power/antenna/fibre etc.

I did work for BT once, 8 years ago, doing ISO27000 audits.

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          I'm glad its not just me thinking that. I've looked at Angular Backbone and Ember over the years and the only 1 I like is Ember...
          I haven't had a play with Ember yet - must add it to the list. I've done a bit with Backbone previously, but I think that has some fairly fundamental flaws too. I did a bunch of stuff with Knockout last year. It's another one where you're supposed to clutter your markup with attributes, then end up having to write a load of custom code anyway to do anything beyond the absolute basics.

As far as I can see, the only advantage any of these things offer over just writing straightforward JS, probably with the addition of jQuery, is some fantasy of maintainability and ongoing improvement/enhancement, which never happens because after a couple of years nobody is using the framework any more, and everything just gets thrown away and rewritten with whatever's next.

I suppose they can have some value for knocking out fairly straightforward line-of-business apps to run inside the corporate firewall, but that's about it.

Comment

test please delete

I haven't had a play with Ember yet - must add it to the list. I've done a bit with Backbone previously, but I think that has some fairly fundamental flaws too. I did a bunch of stuff with Knockout last year. It's another one where you're supposed to clutter your markup with attributes, then end up having to write a load of custom code anyway to do anything beyond the absolute basics.

As far as I can see, the only advantage any of these things offer over just writing straightforward JS, probably with the addition of jQuery, is some fantasy of maintainability and ongoing improvement/enhancement, which never happens because after a couple of years nobody is using the framework any more, and everything just gets thrown away and rewritten with whatever's next.

I suppose they can have some value for knocking out fairly straightforward line-of-business apps to run inside the corporate firewall, but that's about it.
            I doubt any of them will last the distance. The only thing I've seen in the JavaScript world that impressed me recently is react which is great if you want to render stuff fast and seamlessly but a pain to code as it merges the view back into the model

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              I doubt any of them will last the distance. The only thing I've seen in the JavaScript world that impressed me recently is react which is great if you want to render stuff fast and seamlessly but a pain to code as it merges the view back into the model
              Oh good, another one

It all reminds me of the situation about seven or eight years ago, when massive flamewars erupted over the putative benefits of Dojo, Prototype, et al. The only survivor of all that was jQuery, for the fairly straightforward reason that it did just enough to ease the pain of browser compatibility without forcing you into some stupid application architecture that appeared to have been invented by somebody who'd made it through about two-thirds of the GoF book and had missed the point of it entirely.

Nowadays, I'm tempted to ditch even jQuery and feature-detect support for stuff like querySelector and CSS transitions/animations, with older browsers just getting plain old HTML and CSS - Progressive Enhancement FTW!

Comment

maven is a awful tbh
                Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
                  maven is a awful tbh
                  I've heard a lot about it, all of it bad

Comment

I've heard a lot about it, all of it bad
                    maven is fine if it works...

Trouble is when it doesn't you are wading through treacle trying to find the problem and that ends up being a lot of the time because someone changed something...
                    Last edited by eek; 26 August 2014, 21:24.

Comment

I wish I knew & understood wtf you guys are on about.

On 2nd thoughts, I really don't care any more.

Comment

Working...
                      X