• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I am going to open a computer shop to justify being outside IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going to open a computer shop to justify being outside IR35

Do you think opening a computer shop on a high street or renting an office space would justify me as an organisation enough to end clients that they could comfortably qualify my arrangement with them as being outside IR35, without the small handed rats at HMRC sticking their greedy noses in to the arrangement to say otherwise?

Won't HMRC get you on the individual contract and then go looking at all the others?

I tried similar when IR35 first came out back in 2000. Got reseller agreements the lot. Had Lenovo, Dell, MS, Sophos, Citrix, Cisco and lots more. It was a lot of work. Would I take this route again? Very unlikely. Ergo only if there was no other choice.

I got into trading small internet businesses in 2004 and this was better but it took me until 2013 to make it into a day job and a career change and even then I still had to do the odd "contract" (not IT) until last year. If I had to do this over again, would I? I would love to! The brain is more than willing but the rest of the body is not!
    Former IPSE member
    My Website

Comment

No.

I'll leave you to work out why, but it's in the relevant legislation...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by IR35equalshateoflittleguy View Post
        Do you think opening a computer shop on a high street or renting an office space would justify me as an organisation enough to end clients that they could comfortably qualify my arrangement with them as being outside IR35, without the small handed rats at HMRC sticking their greedy noses in to the arrangement to say otherwise?
        No if the 'outside' IR35 contract isn't.

If the contract really is outside you wouldn't need all of this shenanigans.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I am going to quit IT then.

Comment

let's just suspend reality for one second and work on the basis that having some business premises is an indicator of IR35 status....

How would you persuade a client, who has already declared the role as inside, and they have the budget, and you've started work so you have already accepted those terms, to change their mind when the risk of it being wrong will cost them?
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by IR35equalshateoflittleguy View Post
              I am going to quit IT then.
              blimey.
              That escalated fast from question to flounce.
              Client's must love your attitude.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

If what you are doing is regarded by the end client as staff replacement then you are inside IR35

heck if the government back in 2001 had implemented IR35 the way they wanted to contractors would never had had to do their own determinations - it would have always been at the end clients risk
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  let's just suspend reality for one second and work on the basis that having some business premises is an indicator of IR35 status....

How would you persuade a client, who has already declared the role as inside, and they have the budget, and you've started work so you have already accepted those terms, to change their mind when the risk of it being wrong will cost them?
                  I would refuse any new inside IR35 roles on the basis that I am operating as a company not as an employee.

Comment

On the other hand the analysis I have done suggests that probably the only way out of this is to provide a product or products with support contracts.

This sort of route would depend on multiple clients though.
                    The problem with this is that most companies that engage contractors don't want products, they want a bum on a chair and often they are not always absolutely clear on what they want that bum on a chair to exactly and actually do!
                    I managed to create some product/service combo's for my post IT stuff but these solve specific problems for a certain market. I had planned to add modules that could be slightly tweaked.
                    Former IPSE member
                    My Website

Comment

Working...
                    X