• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When the client has no concept of IR35....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When the client has no concept of IR35....

I have managed to pick up a 2nd part time gig with with a company for 2 days a week to work on a migration project.
    the client has no knowledge or insight into the IR35 status and have just decided I'm an external supplier like any other.

How will a lack of knowledge or interest on their part effect me ?

The contract is little more than a single side of A4 which stipulates the rate we agreed.

Originally posted by Cid View Post
    I have managed to pick up a 2nd part time gig with with a company for 2 days a week to work on a migration project.
    the client has no knowledge or insight into the IR35 status and have just decided I'm an external supplier like any other.

The contract is little more than a single side of A4 which stipulates the rate we agreed.

Are they a small client (as defined under IR35)?

Comment

It appears it's not just the client that doesn't have a clue.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        It appears it's not just the client that doesn't have a clue.
        thats why im asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Are they a small client (as defined under IR35)?
          They have more than 50 Staff.
          So no.

Comment

If you are a supplier of service with a given deliverable and no constraints on how it is delivered, and presumably some kind of fixed price arrangement, then IR35 cannot apply. Suppliers are not employees: ask your window cleaner.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

thats why im asking.
              But you've been around since 2017 so seen the Public sectors hit, the build up to the miss last year and it kicking in big time in 6 weeks. All that aside this is your job and you should know it anyway. How come we are where we are and you don't have a scoobies?

No wonder HMRC are coming down on us hard.

Comment

Other than the new responsibilities associated with ITEPA come April 6, there's nothing wrong with a Purchase Order and a single side of T&Cs. That's how most businesses purchase stuff from each other. Also, unless this is a small business (sounds like not), it isn't your responsibility (again, come April 6).

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

But you've been around since 2017 so seen the Public sectors hit, the build up to the miss last year and it kicking in big time in 6 weeks. All that aside this is your job and you should know it anyway. How come we are where we are and you don't have a scoobies?

No wonder HMRC are coming down on us hard.
                  I'm sure there are many people who are as confused as i am when it comes to this stuff.
                  the whole situation is as clear as mud and most of what's posted seems to be conjecture or opinion.

Comment

I'm sure there are many people who are as confused as i am when it comes to this stuff.
                    the whole situation is as clear as mud and most of what's posted seems to be conjecture or opinion.
                    I'm not quite so sure. I'm sure if there were they'd have had a go at this first rather than ask such an unanswerable qeuestion. How does it affect me? Needs to explain everything from scratch. Try understand some of it and ask something a little more specific we can help with.

The quick answer is it exposes you to a lot of risk as you cannot demonstrate your are outside.

It's not just the IR35 issue that is exposed. It's any kind of protect a normal contract offers.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...nt-advice.html

Mods, can we swap 'client' for 'contractor' in the title to make the thread clearer please? IR35 is the contractors issue, not the clients.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 23 February 2021, 12:25.

Comment

Working...
                    X