• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Churchill Knight & Boox clients being investigated as Managed Service Companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Maybe but this Government probably won't like HMRC using (abusing) the MSC legislation as an alternative (contrived) way of attacking one-man bands.

I reckon there's a chance that HMRC may drop the CK/Boox investigations after the "internal review" mentioned above. We'll see...
    I have a suspicion too that it might just die a death and end up in the long grass.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

I have a suspicion too that it might just die a death and end up in the long grass.
      Got to say I very much doubt HMRC will willingly drop these cases. The MSC legislation is literally the only tool HMRC has left after yesterdays IR35 announcement
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Got to say I very much doubt HMRC will willingly drop these cases. The MSC legislation is literally the only tool HMRC has left after yesterdays IR35 announcement
        Hector will do as he's told. Of course, he might not be told to drop the MSC cases. But I think there's a better than evens chance it will happen. I think to some extent we have lived so long with an ever more aggressive and redistributive tax policy, it's sometimes hard to believe it might just change a little bit. The latest changes just wind the clock back a little bit. We still have usurious levels of taxation and an agressive anti-entrepreneur set of policies in place. Might things have changed a tiny bit at least until the next general election? I don't know. I might well be wrong. I doubt there's going to be a chorus of angels singing and unfortunately the CK and Boox victims might have to live with uncertainty for some time yet. But there's still hope. I think.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I too now have some hope these cases will be 'reviewed' and then it will be agreed there was no claim against too many of CK's and Boox's clients.

However, there is still a nagging doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

Hector will do as he's told. Of course, he might not be told to drop the MSC cases. But I think there's a better than evens chance it will happen. I think to some extent we have lived so long with an ever more aggressive and redistributive tax policy, it's sometimes hard to believe it might just change a little bit. The latest changes just wind the clock back a little bit. We still have usurious levels of taxation and an agressive anti-entrepreneur set of policies in place. Might things have changed a tiny bit at least until the next general election? I don't know. I might well be wrong. I doubt there's going to be a chorus of angels singing and unfortunately the CK and Boox victims might have to live with uncertainty for some time yet. But there's still hope. I think.
            The latest changes don’t wind the clock back a bit - they give HMRC an impossible to perform task. Every chapter 8 investigation is unique and incredibly time consuming, which is why there are so few of them.

it’s why I thinK HMRC is going to do the exact opposite of what you and others are expecting - and why I don’t think the Government is going to put any kabosh on these investigations. If anything the quid pro quo with HMRC will be to place more effort on MSC investigations.

Last edited by eek; 25 September 2022, 07:51.

Comment

Bear in mind too that there’s a General Election just around the corner (in terms of the timescale where this plays out).

Comment

Personally, I think that this whole thing is going to end up being a massive tulipshow of a flaming car crash bouncing off a children’s marching band, rolling down a hill though a garage forecourt and ending in a petting zoo….
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  Personally, I think that this whole thing is going to end up being a massive tulipshow of a flaming car crash bouncing off a children’s marching band, rolling down a hill though a garage forecourt and ending in a petting zoo….
                  In so far as it hasn't been already?

The background is policy wonks in academia giving HMRC ideas about unpopular groups they can target and appear to be getting things done. To most outsiders, and particularly permies, contractors are overpaid tax dodging scum who fully deserve to lose their house/car etc when Hector catches them depriving schoolkids of new books etc.

Comment

My 15 year old 05/06 and 06/07 inquiries have just had c closure notice by HMRC and no change to return of tax due.

See here... https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc...ml#post2949431

Comment

Originally posted by handyandy View Post
                      My 15 year old 05/06 and 06/07 inquiries have just had c closure notice by HMRC and no change to return of tax due.

See here... https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc...ml#post2949431
                      Sadly utterly irrelevant here - with the IR35 changes at least one set of experts expect hmrc to double down on the MSC legislation as it’s a large gain for minimum effort process compared to IR35

Comment

Working...
                      X