• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Churchill Knight & Boox clients being investigated as Managed Service Companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post
    They haven't said how, but they have said categorically many times they won't be paying for lawyers for us. Which if you think about is a good thing.

How they can also intervene without seemingly being involved though is puzzling.
    Someone will have to organise something because the funding etc can't be just left to the 5 test cases.

I would imagine at least £100k would need to be raised to fund the 5 test cases at the FTT. If it goes further (UT, CofA, SC) then there would need to be further rounds of fund raising.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Someone will have to organise something because the funding etc can't be just left to the 5 test cases.

I would imagine at least £100k would need to be raised to fund the 5 test cases at the FTT. If it goes further (UT, CofA, SC) then there would need to be further rounds of fund raising.
      I wonder how much fighting they (CK and Boox) are actually doing, on their own behalf in the background.

Their (CK's) original message suggested they were fighting HMRC on the ruling, trying to prove they were not a MSCP. I suspect though CK and Boox are not trying too hard and are now both waiting for the outcome placed on the individual MSC.

I imagine if any of the 5 are members of the support group then the support group will be asked to share the cost as the ruling affects all of us in some way.

If DK has over 150 members this won't be too huge to begin with... WTT I believe have a similar amount of users. There, hopefully would be a coming together of the groups to share the cost.

However, this will run and run so costs will quickly stack up.

If the chosen are not members of any group, their insurance may kick in etc.,

Whatever way you look at this it's going to very expensive and as always the beneficiaries (the lawyers).

Comment

I wonder how much fighting they (CK and Boox) are actually doing, on their own behalf in the background.

Their (CK's) original message suggested they were fighting HMRC on the ruling, trying to prove they were not a MSCP. I suspect though CK and Boox are not trying too hard and are now both waiting for the outcome placed on the individual MSC.

I imagine if any of the 5 are members of the support group then the support group will be asked to share the cost as the ruling affects all of us in some way.

If DK has over 150 members this won't be too huge to begin with... WTT I believe have a similar amount of users. There, hopefully would be a coming together of the groups to share the cost.

However, this will run and run so costs will quickly stack up.

If the chosen are not members of any group, their insurance may kick in etc.,

Whatever way you look at this it's going to very expensive and as always the beneficiaries (the lawyers).
        My concern would be that £100,000 is on the low side especially when all 5 may need their own lawyers to represent their unique points.

And £100,000 split 150 ways is still nearly £700 each....
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

My concern would be that £100,000 is on the low side especially when all 5 may need their own lawyers to represent their unique points.

And £100,000 split 150 ways is still nearly £700 each....
          Yip

Comment

I'd happily pay this and more to avoid the alternative - going to FTT and representing myself.

Comment

You have to weigh the funding contribution against the potential tax/nics/interest bill you could be facing.

If you're facing £50k, then punting £1k for a chance of winning doesn't seem too bad.
              Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Incognito View Post
                I'd happily pay this and more to avoid the alternative - going to FTT and representing myself.
                Genuine question. What would be the challenge in representing yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                  You have to weigh the funding contribution against the potential tax/nics/interest bill you could be facing.

If you're facing £50k, then punting £1k for a chance of winning doesn't seem too bad.
                  For sure, one I'm happy to take at the moment.

Comment

Hours and hours of reading legal documents and a good chance I don't correctly follow protocols etc. and just lose because I don't know how to play the game.

Comment

It's not such a terrible idea. I wrote this post about it:
                      https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc...t-hearing.html

Comment

Working...
                      X