• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Churchill Knight & Boox clients being investigated as Managed Service Companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hareforthebear View Post

It’s not pedantry. The specific details very much matter.
    Not in my vernacular they don't. I'll rephrase 'they've ended up in bother' is that okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Hareforthebear View Post

Yeah fair enough. I’m not trying to stick up for them, just trying to see it from their side. Initially I had an entirely different perspective towards them on it, but being able to pick up the little bits and pieces along the way (largely from what others have posted here), I have changed my mind on it a bit.
      Well, it's water under the bridge now anyway, and there's little point dwelling on it.

All I hope for you guys' sakes is that they push back hard on HMRC. I reckon the PSC side of their business is doomed if they are not seen to put up a real fight.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

I've just received a letter from Hector (got the usual heart palpitations) confirming my appeal is valid and the charges are stood over. They said the next step is to determine the test appeals + once complete they'll provide an update. Wonder how they select the test cases then?

Again there was a discrepancy with what WTT, David Kirk and IPSE said re: appeals. WTT said don't use a standard template as you stand more chance of success if you add more detail. David sent std templates as said Hector will be overwhelmed and won't be able to read each one in detail. And IPSE said you should ask for a review when you submit your (I assume detailed) appeal.

Oh well, let's hope they pick some good appeals that show their determinations are a complete farce.

Comment

Originally posted by rdw1970 View Post
          I've just received a letter from Hector (got the usual heart palpitations) confirming my appeal is valid and the charges are stood over. They said the next step is to determine the test appeals + once complete they'll provide an update. Wonder how they select the test cases then?

Again there was a discrepancy with what WTT, David Kirk and IPSE said re: appeals. WTT said don't use a standard template as you stand more chance of success if you add more detail. David sent std templates as said Hector will be overwhelmed and won't be able to read each one in detail. And IPSE said you should ask for a review when you submit your (I assume detailed) appeal.

Oh well, let's hope they pick some good appeals that show their determinations are a complete farce.
          HMRC selection of appeals will be the cases they think they are most likely to win.

David is probably right in that at this stage you didn't want to stand out from the crowd to either be completely ignored (likely HMRC lose) or so stupid that HMRC would love you to be a test case.

merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

HMRC selection of appeals will be the cases they think they are most likely to win.
            I'm not sure how they can do that. The company/tax returns won't tell them much, and what else have they got to go on?
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

I'm not sure how they can do that. The company/tax returns won't tell them much, and what else have they got to go on?
              Well, they've already spoken to a bunch of clients of CK and Boox and they can speak to more in due course. Insofar as there are more hand-holdey offerings from CK and Boox, they can determine the clients on those too. Doing the research necessary to build a decent case (or the most decent one possible, which is often still crap) is standard practice for HMRC, naturally.

Comment

The quality of the appeals already received...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Picking the very best cases could backfire because lots of people may say "I didn't operate anything like that, so I want my own day in court".

If they want to pin the MSC label on everyone they need to select representative cases, not cherry pick outliers.

Comment

I am pretty sure I know the best strategy for HMRC to pick cases; but I'm not sharing it here!

Comment

Picking the very best cases could backfire because lots of people may say "I didn't operate anything like that, so I want my own day in court".

If they want to pin the MSC label on everyone they need to select representative cases, not cherry pick outliers.
                      Nah, it’s about momentum. Why do you think they chose CBS first?

Comment

Working...
                      X