• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Letter from HMRC regarding possible involvement in Tax avoidance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letter from HMRC regarding possible involvement in Tax avoidance

Hello everyone.

I am looking for some advice, if possible.

I have gotten the HMRC letter saying you may be involved in a possible tax avoidance scheme.

However I get my weekly payment all as a single sum and when looking at my payslip tax and NI appear to be correct.

I am posting the important parts from the payslip bellow. Any advice on this would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I am paid weekly.

Weekly pay 2122.25

Deductions:
    Tax 584.20
    National insurance 116.76
    Pension 42.25
    Umbrella fee 15.0
    Total: 758.31

Taxable gross pay:

Employer national insurance:

Net pay:

The same tax/NI deductions are visible on the HMRC personal tax account. Thank you again for the help.

I would contact HMRC and check with them. Which umbrella are you with?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

If you can share which Umbrella you use, others will be able to share whether they look legit.

And, are you sure the HMRC letter refers to your current engagement/employment? Have you in the past worked via a different Umbrella or scheme?

Comment

That looks wrong for the reason that Taxable gross pay figure is wrong - what is your daily assignment rate - as otherwise those figures are utterly insane.

But there is a second question here as the letter you've got will be based on agency reporting regulations reports and the April to June figures aren't due to be reported until 5th August - so this must relate to something prior to April.

So when did you start working with this agency and who did you work for previously?
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy899 View Post
          Weekly pay 2122.25

Deductions:
          Tax 584.20
          National insurance 116.76
          Pension 42.25
          Umbrella fee 15.0
          Total: 758.31

Taxable gross pay:

Employer national insurance:

Net pay:
          Unless I've overlooked something, that looks about right if you put the figures into this calculator (selecting Gross Income Every: Week (52 Weeks): £2122.25).
          https://www.uktaxcalculators.co.uk
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Unless I've overlooked something, that looks about right if you put the figures into this calculator (selecting Gross Income Every: Week (52 Weeks): £2122.25).
            https://www.uktaxcalculators.co.uk
            Yep the end figures are correct its for the the Weekly pay (I'm assuming assignment fee at £424.45 a day) / Taxable gross pay as that doesn't make sense.

But as I've already posted the letter doesn't make sense in the current time frame - it has to relate to pre April work as HMRC won't know if anything is wrong until they have the agency report and that isn't due until August.

Now it is just about possible that the Agency has sent a report in and HMRC have run the report. But the agency couldn't send the report in before July 6th and I can't imagine HMRC are that quick off the blocks.
            Last edited by eek; 15 July 2021, 08:55.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I suppose it could also be something on a tax return which has got flagged.
              Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Have you ruled out any kind of phishing issue here? The letter is legit? The numbers on it match up with the numbers to contact HMRC on their webpage. Have you done all the checks needed to make sure it's a proper letter from HMRC?

I know it's a long shot but with all the HMRC scams going about I'd be doubly careful.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thank you for all your quick responses.

Now that you do mention the possibility of the mail being fake, it does heave a suspicious phone number and email address listed:

the email listed is [email protected]
                  and the phone number listed is 0300 3229423

google doesn't give any results for the email address while the phone numbers seems to indicate a lot of fraud calls.

I have been with this Umbrella since March and it is Turnkey Payment Solutions. Never been with an umbrella before.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy899 View Post
                    Thank you for all your quick responses.

Now that you do mention the possibility of the mail being fake, it does heave a suspicious phone number and email address listed:

the email listed is [email protected]
                    and the phone number listed is 0300 3229423

google doesn't give any results for the email address while the phone numbers seems to indicate a lot of fraud calls.

I have been with this Umbrella since March and it is Turnkey Payment Solutions. Never been with an umbrella before.
                    Fascinating, Google doesn't seem to have heard of them. The nearest hit is on page two and is an American credit card payment gateway, or something. Piques my interest no end.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X