• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MX-5 for daily commute?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Torrango View Post
    <snip>

But seriously, I would imagine most company car parks would have plenty of cars more expensive than an MX-5, no? As it happens I'd consider a Porsche too, but out of my price range but don't really want the hassle of a really old one. That said I can see why a Porsche would go down the wrong way on some client sites.
    I would also be concerned about driving a nice car to client site. Regardless of your relationship with the client, there are bound to be eyebrows raised and questions asked if you pull up in a Porsche, R8 or any other nice car.

Which is a real shame, because as per one of my previous threads I really want to buy a nice car! Even the IT director here drives a car that, although nice, is only worth around £15k. I couldn't imagine upstaging him, even though we have a good working relationship.

Perhaps what Churchy does is the best option, i.e. keep the nice car for the fun runs and not the daily commute.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      I would also be concerned about driving a nice car to client site. Regardless of your relationship with the client, there are bound to be eyebrows raised and questions asked if you pull up in a Porsche, R8 or any other nice car.

Which is a real shame, because as per one of my previous threads I really want to buy a nice car! Even the IT director here drives a car that, although nice, is only worth around £15k. I couldn't imagine upstaging him, even though we have a good working relationship.

Perhaps what Churchy does is the best option, i.e. keep the nice car for the fun runs and not the daily commute.
      Churchy no longer has nice cars, priorities have changed...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        Here's a thought for you, "You buy an MX-5 to drive, you can't see the outside of the car when you're pootling along the country lanes short-shifting and listening to the sound of the engine and feeling the wind in your toupe"!

Hth.
        It's a good point but surely part of having a sporty car is seeing it as you walk up/away, and not feeling like a berk driving it.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Churchy no longer has nice cars, he's not allowed anymore...
          FTFY
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            It's a good point but surely part of having a sporty car is seeing it as you walk up/away, and not feeling like a berk driving it.
            Why would you feel a berk? FFS, if the MX-5 isn't for you then fine, but tbh I wouldn't and didn't give a sh!t what people thought when I drove my Yellow 4S and not even when I had the Vesuvius Red(Orange ) RR Sport.

If you give a sh!t about what other people think then you've got a whole different set of problems that need addressing.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              FTFY
              Ain't that the truth?

Mind you she says I'm much happier now...

Comment

Ain't that the truth?

Mind you she says I'm much happier now...
                So it must be true
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  So it must be true
                  Would you argue with CM? I won't, not since the last time...

Anyway, the plaster cast comes off next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Torrango View Post
                    Wow. One of reasons I was thinking about the MX-5 is value for money. My main concern would be putting up with all the suggestions that I ought to be working in a hair salon or somesuch.
                    I'm building an MX5 at the moment purely for racing, mainly drag. The engine is out of a Supra Twin Turbo and I'm building it at the moment to make around 600HP. It will probably wheelie with the correct tyres, and I'm hoping for 9 second quarter miles, so see if they will call it a Hairdressers car after a ride in mine

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post

I'm building an MX5 at the moment purely for racing, mainly drag. The engine is out of a Supra Twin Turbo and I'm building it at the moment to make around 600HP. It will probably wheelie with the correct tyres, and I'm hoping for 9 second quarter miles, so see if they will call it a Hairdressers car after a ride in mine
                      ******* tart!

Comment

Working...
                      X