• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MX-5 for daily commute?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Torrango View Post
    Would love to get an MX-5, but now a little concerned about suitability for motorway commuting, especially when it's bucketing down with rain/spray as it has been this past week. Casting the net wider, wondered if you fine folks had any thoughts on the following which all can be found in budget (under 5k), if a little older.

1. Audi TT (2001)
    2. Mercedes SLK (2002)
    3. Chrysler Crossfire (2003)

I'd say my criteria are

1. Something fun/unusual (so rules out plenty of perfectly good but commonplace cars like mondeos, 3-series, golf etc). 2 seats fine, 2+2 probably ideal but limits options. I realise the cars above may not be "unusual" to many, but they would be compared to most cars on my commute and client car parks.
    2. Reasonable fuel costs (do around 400 miles/week on current project)
    3. Reliable with reasonable maintenance costs.
    4. Comfortable enough for daily 1 hour commute each way (this will be my only car)
    5. Probably not much older than the ones above unless there was something particularly special about them.

Have discounted the S2000 because of the lack of low end torque - don't really want to have to rev like crazy to get any power, especially in the city. RX-8 drinks too much oil and petrol, and also prone to problems with shorter journeys. Boxsters are just out of the price range, and as mentioned earlier in the thread might be a bit too flash for the car park.

Not planning on taking the car on track days.
    C-class Merc - 5-7yrs old for under £7k. Perfect for your needs. I got one for commuting and love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Torrango View Post
      Would love to get an MX-5, but now a little concerned about suitability for motorway commuting, especially when it's bucketing down with rain/spray as it has been this past week. Casting the net wider, wondered if you fine folks had any thoughts on the following which all can be found in budget (under 5k), if a little older.

1. Audi TT (2001)
      2. Mercedes SLK (2002)
      3. Chrysler Crossfire (2003)

I'd say my criteria are

1. Something fun/unusual (so rules out plenty of perfectly good but commonplace cars like mondeos, 3-series, golf etc). 2 seats fine, 2+2 probably ideal but limits options. I realise the cars above may not be "unusual" to many, but they would be compared to most cars on my commute and client car parks.
      2. Reasonable fuel costs (do around 400 miles/week on current project)
      3. Reliable with reasonable maintenance costs.
      4. Comfortable enough for daily 1 hour commute each way (this will be my only car)
      5. Probably not much older than the ones above unless there was something particularly special about them.

Have discounted the S2000 because of the lack of low end torque - don't really want to have to rev like crazy to get any power, especially in the city. RX-8 drinks too much oil and petrol, and also prone to problems with shorter journeys. Boxsters are just out of the price range, and as mentioned earlier in the thread might be a bit too flash for the car park.

Not planning on taking the car on track days.
      Those three cars you listed are all inferior to the s2000 in handling, performance and reliability. It doesn't have to be revved like crazy and keep in mind an MX-5 of that age has less torque. If you don't like changing gear, get an automatic or a diesel not a sports car.
      Don't discount the RX-8 this was What car best coupe until the new generation Audi TT. Also look at the Toyota MR-2, think of it as a reliable and well built Lotus Elise.
      Last edited by Bagpuss; 28 August 2011, 21:39.
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
      X