• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MX-5 for daily commute?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    I know you are fictional, but this is just utter BS.

Re-phrasing a cars failures as "soul" or "Character" is either you trying to justify the failings to yourself or you are just regurgitating what the sales man told you in order to make you buy a car with massive failings.

Why don't people wake up to reality ad admit that they bought a crap car?
    Alfa's do have soul and personality - there is just something about them that makes you want to get rather close and intimate with them - the sleekness of the curves in perfect positions, the tempermental attitude, I have never wanted to hump any car as much as my beloved Bella.....

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
      Alfa's do have soul and personality - there is just something about them that makes you want to get rather close and intimate with them - the sleekness of the curves in perfect positions, the tempermental attitude, I have never wanted to hump any car as much as my beloved Bella.....
      Humans do not even have a "soul", but they can invent characters. And one of them seems to have invented you.
      "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        He loved it to bits, but had an old Mondeo Estate for most days, only used the Elise on summer days for commuting.

It's a car for people that want some enjoyment from their driving. You don't need to be going silly speeds (not easy anyway these days with all the traffic and rozzer cameras) to appreciate it's handling and sense of occasion. It's one of the purest forms of driving you can buy, only topped by the Caterham 7 crowd.

Some of my most memorable drives were on cold winter days with the roof off, breathing in the cold crisp air while having the engine softly caress the back of my neck with it's warmth.

For those that go on about how you're not a true petrol-head unless you've owned an Alfa (started by Clarkson no doubt ), they're wrong. It's unless you've owned a Lotus, Porsche, or Ferrari.

Fortunately the Lotus Elise is the cheapest entry to that club, closely followed by the Porsche Boxster.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Must admit to having similar mid-life 2-seat crisis myself. MX-5's get such a good write-up and you get some reliability, lots about etc. Will always be a second car for me but will be sorely tempted once new house with double garage is secured...

Comment

This one is sold

Vauxhall : VX220 TURBO ONLY 22700

but if I were looking for a tiny, go-cart like 2-seater with stunning performance and handling, I'd be looking at a VX220 Turbo.

Last edited by DimPrawn; 22 August 2011, 10:06.

Comment

mx5 envy

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              Lightweight, rear-wheel drive. Come winter time with ice and snow you better work from home!
              Turned up in my mx5 and the whole office gawped out of the window, snivvelled, even the sales manager bawked, daily moans about who I thought I was, sideways sneers about what my rate was, then within 6 months my contract was ended
              God knows what if I turned up in the porche, so I never risked it

Comment

Originally posted by moder8or View Post
                Turned up in my mx5 and the whole office gawped out of the window, snivvelled, even the sales manager bawked, daily moans about who I thought I was, sideways sneers about what my rate was, then within 6 months my contract was ended
                God knows what if I turned up in the porche, so I never risked it
                I had my R8 delivered to ClientCo, no petty jealousy from the rest of the crowd just admiring glances and the MD asking if he could "have a go". Perhaps I just worked for reasonable people.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  I had my R8 delivered to ClientCo, no petty jealousy from the rest of the crowd just admiring glances and the MD asking if he could "have a go". Perhaps I just worked for reasonable people.
                  I think we've got another one with DimPrawn effect

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    To which question the correct answer is "Yes".

I used to know a chap who was quite happy to lend nice motors to clients for a weekend, and it was much appreciated in the form of repeat orders.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      I think we've got another one with DimPrawn effect
                      http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...kind-twat.html

Comment

Working...
                      X