• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leasing an EV - Insurance Query (and boom!)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leasing an EV - Insurance Query (and boom!)

Boom! New contract sourced via my network for an extra £80/day. Had six months to go on my existing gig, but felt it was coming to an end with "transitioning to BAU" being mentioned at every opportunity. Starting to feel like a proper contractor once again after a 2 year hiatus as a permie...

It does have me thinking about leasing EVs again. I made post about 6 months ago (https://forums.contractoruk.com/gene...look-like.html) and the general consensus was it's not really saving money, and for once I listened and sat on my hands. However, with our current household expenditure I am going to be on the cusp of paying higher dividend tax, and after my first foray into EV ownership (privately owned used Nissan Leaf), I'm pretty much sold on the idea of EV for daily driving, despite being a hardened petrolhead. If I can transition some of our motoring costs inside the ltd co, potentially it will help me to reduce dividend tax.

As a bit of nerd, I'm spreadsheeting the numbers to see if the man-maths makes any sense. However, one area I'm a bit unsure on, and am embarrassed to admit this having worked in the industry for 20-odd years, is insurance: how does leasing a car via your ltd co impact your insurance? I.e.:

- Can you transfer your NCD to the company? (I'm assuming policy holder would be Fiisch Ltd., registered keeper is Leasing Co and then driver would be Mr & Mrs Fiisch). Or is this another scenario where you are expected to start from 0 yrs NCD? Presumably the premiums are a bit higher than a traditional owner-driver policy?
    - Has anyone managed to get a multi-car policy, where one car is privately owned, the other leased via your ltd co? Or have you been forced to go down two separate policy route?

I know, I know, I'm spending my increase before I get it, but I'm quite taken by the new Ford Capri. Ford have really pulled this one out the bag, a massive improvement on the fugly 80's version............................

Sorry, don't know anything about insurance

Comment

A contractor should know the difference between you and your company, and not try to conflate them...

NCDs can be transferred but you need to talk to the insurance compny(ies) to find out how.

And I totally reject any comparison between the elegant Capri and the latest milk float truck
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Talk to a broker?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

tl;dr

nevertheless congrats on the new contract and the better rate

btw why would anybody lease a car

everytime I've been seduced by the pretty picture and description to read the small print on leasing a car, as a one man band, it has never made economic sense

ok if you are big company with thousands of company cars, but for a one man band ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
            I know, I know, I'm spending my increase before I get it, but I'm quite taken by the new Ford Capri. Ford have really pulled this one out the bag, a massive improvement on the fugly 80's version............................
            I doubt you will be saying that when you actually drive it, it's an VW ID? with a different bodyshell.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I guess who ever gave Ford's new battery powered car the name "Capri" has never seen the ICE version

major disappointment in the Ford car culture community

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                I guess who ever gave Ford's new battery powered car the name "Capri" has never seen the ICE version

Milan.
                Agreed. As someone who owned a Capri in the 80s, I don't think that unremarkable 2024 lump deserves the same name.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post

Milan.
                  Is that the one that has half the horsepower and takes 3 seconds longer to hit 60, even with the most powerful 3l?

The new one is a huuuge upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

Agreed. As someone who owned a Capri in the 80s, I don't think that unremarkable 2024 lump deserves the same name.
                    ah the poor mans Opel Manta? wonder if the Crapi still swerves all over the road?

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X