• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

anybody here grow veggies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we grow veggies

we have the capacity to be self sufficient, but not the time

we are half year sufficient on onion, potato, garlic, pumpkin, beetroot, leak

which is not bad

Milan.

has your account been hacked by gricer?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Why grow stuff that is cheap to get from the shops e.g. potatoes, onions, leeks?

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Yes, we grow fruit & veg.
        Along with your list, add in tomatoes, cucumber, courgettes, peas, dwarf french beans, radishes, lettuce, rocket, kale, spring onions, and some others I've probably forgotten.
        Then there's the apples, figs, plums, pears, rhubarb, and I'm clearing an area for a small vineyard (maybe 40-50 vines).
        Upgraded my cider press to a 25l one last year and hope to be investing in 100lb or yeast and some copper line later this year.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Why grow stuff that is cheap to get from the shops e.g. potatoes, onions, leeks?
          If you've got the space, why not?
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I expect SE grows Cannabis. Much more profitable.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Not any more: the parents' garden, dug & planted for 95 years is now grass, and I've just chopped down the apple & pear trees since no one wanted the fruit and I was fed up with picking up windfalls.

The jackdaws are very upset.

The apple tree looked lovely in flower.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Because they feel & taste better, there is little to beat potatoes dug fresh rinsed straight into the pan, with a little mint(from the garden) and butter.

Spring onions & chives, various herbs again fantastic.

The kids picking gooseberries, apples, strawberries fresh from the garden while you drink iced tea is pretty good.

My herbs & veg are around the barbecue so just end up on it.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

And don't get me started on mint, fecking invasive stuff that it is.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                    And don't get me started on mint, fecking invasive stuff that it is.

I grow my mint in a pot like you are advised to.

At one point I did have chives taking over but lots of pulling out they are gone.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X