• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "anybody here grow veggies"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    We grow courgettes.

Lots and lots of courgettes…
    Those ain't Courgettes

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-archers.html

It's the stranger than fiction story of a cannabis raid and fire that is unlikely to make the next omnibus of goings-on in Ambridge.

Police have found more than £400,000 of cannabis in an industrial unit in the village that inspired The Archers - which then mysteriously caught fire days later.

Officers from West Mercia Police wearing riot gear smashed in the doors of a building on the B4090 Saltway in Hanbury, Worcestershire earlier this week using chainsaws and battering rams.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I too can kill mint.

I tend to grow chillies. Very easy to grow.

Had a go with tomatoes once but the plant grew like a triffid and never fruited. Apparently you can't go on holiday if you have the variety that needs constant vigilance for side shoots that need pinching out.
    Moneymaker no shaking required

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I too can kill mint.

I tend to grow chillies. Very easy to grow.

Had a go with tomatoes once but the plant grew like a triffid and never fruited. Apparently you can't go on holiday if you have the variety that needs constant vigilance for side shoots that need pinching out.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post

I am so green fingered that when I tried to grow mint I managed to kill it
    You need to advertise your skills!

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    And don't get me started on mint, fecking invasive stuff that it is.
    I am so green fingered that when I tried to grow mint I managed to kill it

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

I bet the bees and wasps ain't too pleased either!
    It's ok, they haven't woken up yet.

Courgettes.

Miss one & it turns into a marrow.

I spent some of last year demolishing the courgette part of next door's garden, it was Termination With Extreme Prejudice.

Plus I was fed up with cutting back the brambles twice a year.

The lawn extension I intended for that area never happened so I'll have to dig it over again this spring & move some of the gooseberry bushes & do the job properly this time.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    We grow courgettes.

https://talesfromswallowfarm.blogspo...o-be-then.html

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Not any more: the parents' garden, dug & planted for 95 years is now grass, and I've just chopped down the apple & pear trees since no one wanted the fruit and I was fed up with picking up windfalls.

The jackdaws are very upset.

The apple tree looked lovely in flower.
    We’ve got a cider maker in the next town that gets ours. We get a few free bottles in return.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Not any more: the parents' garden, dug & planted for 95 years is now grass, and I've just chopped down the apple & pear trees since no one wanted the fruit and I was fed up with picking up windfalls.

The jackdaws are very upset.

The apple tree looked lovely in flower.
    I bet the bees and wasps ain't too pleased either! Apples, Pears, copper piping and some engineering skills...

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    We grow courgettes.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Oh are what are your tips for dealing with squirrels?
    0.177 air rifle.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Oh are what are your tips for dealing with squirrels?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    And don't get me started on mint, fecking invasive stuff that it is
    Darn right. I remember the missus planting some once and it started spreading over the lawn.

Maybe Milly Beans is right, we should start preparing for the coming apocolypse.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

I grow my mint in a pot like you are advised to.

At one point I did have chives taking over but lots of pulling out they are gone.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X