• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NSS - new citizens will need somewhere to live.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woody1 View Post

Also, the standard of living in a lot of those former Eastern block countries (Poland, Lithuania etc) improved a lot in the noughties, so they didn't need to be here anymore. Even before the referendum, farmers where we live were finding it increasingly difficult to attract workers from the EU.
    I know this is hard for a lot of people in the UK to believe (especially those starting with a "B" and ending with a "teer" ), but UK is no longer an expat destination for EU people, actually it stopped being it even before Brexit (it was the final nail in the coffin). Enjoy your "freedom" with a tulip ton of non-EU expats coming over on the new visa scheme

To those moaning about migrants, go ahead and tell me what your solution is to people coming over to work in the NHS / elderly care segments. You do realise they also pay taxes and so can use all the benefits that the system offers. Or was that not clear? take a look at who serves you when you go to McDonalds, your local pharmacy, restaurant, who delivers your parcels etc.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

I know this is hard for a lot of people in the UK to believe (especially those starting with a "B" and ending with a "teer" ), but UK is no longer an expat destination for EU people, actually it stopped being it even before Brexit (it was the final nail in the coffin). Enjoy your "freedom" with a tulip ton of non-EU expats coming over on the new visa scheme

To those moaning about migrants, go ahead and tell me what your solution is to people coming over to work in the NHS / elderly care segments. You do realise they also pay taxes and so can use all the benefits that the system offers. Or was that not clear? take a look at who serves you when you go to McDonalds, your local pharmacy, restaurant, who delivers your parcels etc.
      I know its hard for a lot of people to understand, like those with descriptions that sound like Fe**wits. 6.2 million people on the settlement scheme is a big deal when we have no houses or hospital beds. Millions more via poorly controlled immigration is not a good idea. Hundreds of millions of economic migrants are on the move towards the west and many mean us harm.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...tics-june-2023

If we want these extra people then we need to build services for them. That is not moaning though you the hard of thinking perceive it as such, its just common sense.

Emotional arguments that immigrants do the jobs we don't want to do so we can subsidise multinationals tax savings also look a bit stupid. The reality is that until people are on higher rate taxes they are a drain on societies coffers. Workers on £20k with 3 kids don't actually contribute to the NHS. Again I say, pay me £120k to clean tables and I'm there.

The reality is that right wing parties are on the rise, the people including 'recent' migrants are not happy! Deal with it or suffer from it.

As posted we need to consider whether we actually need migrants and if so we need to cost them and the services they need before accepting them.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

So much for:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_back_control

Comment

Taking back control of borders doesn't mean we don't let anyone in. It means we can control migration which we clearly still cannot do. Nothing wrong with tax paying workers coming over. It's the rest that are the problem and they don't pay a penny towards anything. So moaning about out of control migration is absolutely right.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Nothing wrong with tax paying workers coming over. It's the rest that are the problem and they don't pay a penny towards anything.
            What about the ones who want to work but aren’t allowed to by our government, because if they worked and paid their way then it would be more difficult to demonise them?
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Taking back control of borders doesn't mean we don't let anyone in. It means we can control migration which we clearly still cannot do. Nothing wrong with tax paying workers coming over. It's the rest that are the problem and they don't pay a penny towards anything. So moaning about out of control migration is absolutely right.
              Well then clearly the UK have been sold a big fat lie with Brexit if the big selling point of controlling migration and quadruple billions to the NHS are all but a bluff innit?

Also, blame current and past govs for building absolutely **** all and letting 90% of the UK crumble to tulip (London excluded, but still). Migration is just a fancy way of pushing over the blame to someone else.

As for higher rate tax being paid for basic jobs from our local anti-migration expert - I'll just leave that without a comment, cause that's clearly a solution Show me statistics on how many British born, 7th generation, "been here since the bloody Battle of Trafalgar" are sponging on the welfare system, then clash this against migrants and maybe we can have a discussion. Also don't forget yearly there's a tulip ton of people migrating out of the UK, so showing numbers for one side doesn't cut it.

Comment

Also don't forget yearly there's a tulip ton of people migrating out of the UK, so showing numbers for one side doesn't cut it.
                Unfortunately, Brexit has made that a lot harder. Countries like Spain and France only grant residency to well-off Brits now.

Comment

Originally posted by woody1 View Post

Unfortunately, Brexit has made that a lot harder. Countries like Spain and France only grant residency to well-off Brits now.
                  Sure, but there's loads of migrants who came to the UK that are moving out, either going back to other EU countries or their own EU / non-EU countries.

Comment

Well then clearly the UK have been sold a big fat lie with Brexit if the big selling point of controlling migration and quadruple billions to the NHS are all but a bluff innit?

Also, blame current and past govs for building absolutely **** all and letting 90% of the UK crumble to tulip (London excluded, but still). Migration is just a fancy way of pushing over the blame to someone else.
                    London isn't excluded - or have you missed all those Brits in council/housing association accommodation living in crumbling and mouldy properties?

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      London isn't excluded - or have you missed all those Brits in council/housing association accommodation living in crumbling and mouldy properties?
                      Yes indeed, I kind of wanted to excluded it as there's stuff being built there, but on the other hand it's all private investment, mostly blocks of fancy flats, so yes, it should be thrown in in the bag with all the other crumbling areas (especially the poorer areas of London).

Comment

Working...
                      X