• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ohh goody anther quiz Genz slang

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ohh goody anther quiz Genz slang

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...bare-beef.html

ok without having a beef or popping off

Click image for larger version

Name:	80289479-12994057-image-a-23_1706008329800.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	4282885
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

"Beef" isn't a gen z word. I did a Google and it was first recorded being used in the 1880s.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      "Beef" isn't a gen z word. I did a Google and it was first recorded being used in the 1880s.
      Gen Z, almost by definition, know nothing "historical" earlier than about 1990, and are taught - using the term loosely - nothing prior to WW2. If they have notions about stuff earlier than that, it is almost certainly wrong and posed in light of modern beliefs.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to make my point without getting a ban but lets say....

I know all these words but it's only because my lad got me in to watching The Sidemen youtube vids. Out of all of them there are only two that use this language and that's KSI and Chunkz. The latter uses all of these and more.

I'd argue this language is generally only used by a certain cross section of Gen Z'ers and not common to a generation.... if you get me... man.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Gen Z, almost by definition, know nothing "historical" earlier than about 1990, and are taught - using the term loosely - nothing prior to WW2. If they have notions about stuff earlier than that, it is almost certainly wrong and posed in light of modern beliefs.
          Sounds like their parents have let them down.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

What a load of baseless nonsense, you sound like a typical old DM reader.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

What a load of baseless nonsense, you sound like a typical old DM reader.
              Do you speak to many Gen Z people? I know more than a few who have never heard of Margaret Thatcher, can't recite an alphabet and couldn't find
              Paris on a map.

And your reference to "a typical old DM reader" marks you as someone with a typical lack of perspective who can only talk in hackneyed stereotypes.

Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Do you speak to many Gen Z people? I know more than a few who have never heard of Margaret Thatcher, can't recite an alphabet and couldn't find
                Paris on a map.
                I don't that is indicative of a whole generation though. You could have asked someone in the 70's/80's some basic history/geography question and they've have failed miserably. I do believe they've changed with a slightly different focus due to technology and different pressures of life for sure, as every generation does, but it's a very complex topic and not one that defines them all by knowing who was in power 10 years before they were born. Does the fact they don't know who MT is make them a bad generation? They know tech far better than any other generation, isn't that more important? It's a complex topic.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I don't that is indicative of a whole generation though. You could have asked someone in the 70's/80's some basic history/geography question and they've have failed miserably. I do believe they've changed with a slightly different focus due to technology and different pressures of life for sure, as every generation does, but it's a very complex topic and not one that defines them all by knowing who was in power 10 years before they were born. Does the fact they don't know who MT is make them a bad generation? They know tech far better than any other generation, isn't that more important? It's a complex topic.
                  Depends on many things, and you can't generalise from specific cases. But it seems odd that my generation have a fairly wide ranging general knowledge that seems to escape many younger people - watch any of the more moronic quiz shows and see how limited that of a lot of their contestants is.

It may be more fundamental. Read a lot of books and other sources and you are bound to pick up odd facts you can often use to derive answers to questions. Spend you life in the limited self-reinforcing world of social media and you simply don't get that exposure. And schools are only teaching a limited curriculum of facts, not a desire for learning as far as I can tell.

As for technical competence, using a well designed app or even writing one in a coding language does not mean you understand technology. How many really know the chain of events that go to making Alexa turn on the kitchen light, much less the underlying infrastructures?

Or, to put it in GenZ terms, "How sad are you. Who cares"
                  Last edited by malvolio; 24 January 2024, 11:46.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Stuff
                    I did draft a reply, particularly about the point I should have said tech embracing rather than understanding but you are right, i'm kinda right and it's just a pointless discussion.

But.. interestingly enough, in the last 20 mins it's got a bit heated in the office with a young lad in an England football shirt being asked not to wear it in the office again. It's very casual here and I've not see the dress code but I imagine it's business casual and no political slogans, sports tops etc. I could be wrong but that's how it used to be. He's far from happy and it's sparked a lot of over the desk discussions. The older heads are keeping out of it but does raise one of the things that does irk about the new Gen'ers. Now I'm going from defending them to having a proper moan, but the sense of self entitlement people have drives me nuts nowadays. I'm an old git, stuck in the past yes but can't help getting annoyed. His colleagues his age are all 'that's ridiculous, you should be able to wear what you want' and all that. I'm 100% sure most people over 35 thinks it was a pretty daft thing to and he's quite rightly been pulled up about it. So I'll join the sweeping statement brigade but the fact they think they have the god given right to expect everything the want does appear to be a common trait in new Gen groups. 'I can do what I want when I want' does strike me as being a popular mantra nowadays.

Would have happened in my day sonny.

U turn rant over.

Comment

Working...
                    X