• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I wonder what the emissions from that were?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not hard to Google something like "do electric vehicles catch fire more than petrol vehicles?", to which the answer in all results seems to be "no, statistically they're far less likely to catch fire" - but even that seems to be too much effort for EV cynics. I'm pretty ambivalent to the power source used and I run 2 ICE vehicles, but at least I try to base my opinions on easily discoverable facts.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

Curious why, is it the fact that in an accident if the battery body gets damaged it's bin time, or something else. Typically insurance goes up due to claims, but this is fairly new technology, so perhaps the risk has been assessed as higher due to something we don't yet know but insurers know from manufacturers?
      Insight: Scratched EV battery? Your insurer may have to junk the whole car | Reuters
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Curious why, is it the fact that in an accident if the battery body gets damaged it's bin time, or something else. Typically insurance goes up due to claims, but this is fairly new technology, so perhaps the risk has been assessed as higher due to something we don't yet know but insurers know from manufacturers?
        As per my original mail I can't believe they aren't graded along side sports cars with equivalent acceleration, especially when your average family will be owning them, not petrol heads. Both are risks but different. One generally drives like and idiot, the other doesn't know how to handle a powerful car.

And the size of the claim in an accident as you say.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes, this is what I was thinking about, even the smallest damage to the battery case increases the risk the battery might've been damaged inside, which can then lead to a fire at a random point in time, so safest option is to bin it. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the reason why premiums are going up as even on a potentially small collision you are scrapping the whole car

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

As per my original mail I can't believe they aren't graded along side sports cars with equivalent acceleration, especially when your average family will be owning them, not petrol heads. Both are risks but different. One generally drives like and idiot, the other doesn't know how to handle a powerful car.

Would be good to see statistics on how many people drive them off the road when fecking about with friends.

Comment

You get warranty up to 100k miles but from what I've read they don't need replacing till at least 200k miles mark. That of course leaves a pretty large gap of a 100k between the two, but it's really down to how much you drive and how old the EV is to start with. Don't they offer battery health indication on most models? No idea how that works, but if you don't slam them hard with some weird charging or it doesn't catch fire, you are good
              The devil is in the detail (T&Cs). This includes main dealer servicing and checks including any external damage that could affect the battery. Speed bumps especially in London are guaranteed to bottom out most EVs.

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

The insurers seem to agree with you
                https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/3...rers.%E2%80%9D

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/e...ctric-vehicles
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                X