• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chuffing Eco Homes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuffing Eco Homes

There's 10 new executive sized homes (£800K+ in North Yorkshire) been built on a paddock behind my own mansion. I have a draughty property that benefits from a nice log burner in the living room to supplement the very efficient oil boiler neither of which I need on at the moment. These new homes are apparently super insulated and eco friendly with air source heat pumps. So on a warm afternoon (relative to the freezing temps over the weekend) why do I see these eco properties belching smoke from their show chimneys?

INKSPE. Earn some money, get a decent house and find out.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

DrewG lives there and he is burning his spare PowerPoint pages?

£800k with that they could buy Hull!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Maybe they're too hot due to excess efficiency and so are letting off steam

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Maybe they're too hot due to excess efficiency and so are letting off steam
          I suspect it's more likely to be steam.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

my next door neighbour has a air heat pump, and it blows out steam from time to time

why do they do that ?

here at chateau Benes we stubbornly stick to gas and wood

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
              my next door neighbour has a air heat pump, and it blows out steam from time to time

why do they do that ?

here at chateau Benes we stubbornly stick to gas and wood

Milan.
              At Vetran Villas we just burn used tenners!
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
                There's 10 new executive sized homes (£800K+ in North Yorkshire) been built on a paddock behind my own mansion. I have a draughty property that benefits from a nice log burner in the living room to supplement the very efficient oil boiler neither of which I need on at the moment. These new homes are apparently super insulated and eco friendly with air source heat pumps. So on a warm afternoon (relative to the freezing temps over the weekend) why do I see these eco properties belching smoke from their show chimneys?
                It's steam.

Also, you do realise that oil won't be cheap forever, right? Fossil fuels will get more expensive through increased supply costs and increasing taxation. Wood is very inefficient to burn and generally releases more dirty emissions per unit of heat released than coal! Both are dirty ways of heating and you've really shown your ignorance by posting this rather pointless post.

Steam during the day from a heatpump is normal. Their high efficiency can result in water being heated for the tank at a sunny time of day, rather than during the night when the heat increase of the water required is far higher.

Comment

Originally posted by agentzero View Post

It's steam.

Also, you do realise that oil won't be cheap forever, right? Fossil fuels will get more expensive through increased supply costs and increasing taxation. Wood is very inefficient to burn and generally releases more dirty emissions per unit of heat released than coal! Both are dirty ways of heating and you've really shown your ignorance by posting this rather pointless post

i can't imagine getting away from wood

it creates a beautiful heat

the fire is a beautiful feature

it's nicer to watch the fire than watch TV

stacking wood is a great activity

the wood pile is a sight to behold in the garden (I keep about 25 tons and burn about 9 tons a year on rotation)

it's very traditional

it has built in business continuity planning, nobody can switch it off

smoke coming from a chimney is always pleasant to see, it sends a clear signal, we're at home

we bake potatoes and stews and chestnuts in our fire place

and probably more good reasons :-)

my parents are more modern and have oil, their heating bill is sooooo low these days

what's not to like

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post

<snip>
                    my parents are more modern and have oil, their heating bill is sooooo low these days

what's not to like

Milan.
                    It doesn't matter what the heating bill cost is right now. A new heating system choice now leads towards heatpumps. If you were betting, you would bet on fossil fuels and high emission heating to be much more expensive within a couple of years. All the signs are your bet would be correct. There is no way fossil fuels will remain as cheap as they are now in the UK.

Comment

Working...
                    X