• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Chuffing Eco Homes

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Chuffing Eco Homes"

Collapse

• tazdevil
    replied
    No I'm not getting a heat pump but if I was I'd be interested in this technology which puts the heat pump in the roof. Apparently Bellway are experimenting with it. If the eco lunes want to get people interested then they need to promote interesting technology solutions such as this

Leave a comment:

• tazdevil
    replied
    Originally posted by agentzero View Post

It doesn't matter what the heating bill cost is right now. A new heating system choice now leads towards heatpumps. If you were betting, you would bet on fossil fuels and high emission heating to be much more expensive within a couple of years. All the signs are your bet would be correct. There is no way fossil fuels will remain as cheap as they are now in the UK.
    For well insulated new builds a heat pump solution might make economic sense but for existing buildings with effective fossil fuel based heating systems they don't. I spend ~£1K on oil a year and ~£1.2K on electricity and get back ~£2.2K FITS rebate on my solar PV so I'm energy neutral This is for a draughty large house in North Yorkshire. What would the cost be of converting to a heat pump solution and how long would it be before I got my money back? Way too much is the answer. So oil and because I like the effect of a log burner a toasty living room and a smoke plume drifting on the breeze is what I want and what I'll keep

I'm upgrading insulation and am already replacing my 1st gen LED lighting with the latest tech. What I'm not going to do is subsidise Asia by buying a large reverse fridge and plonking it outside the house to create a costly eyesore and noise polluter

Leave a comment:

• agentzero
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post

<snip>
    my parents are more modern and have oil, their heating bill is sooooo low these days

what's not to like

Milan.
    It doesn't matter what the heating bill cost is right now. A new heating system choice now leads towards heatpumps. If you were betting, you would bet on fossil fuels and high emission heating to be much more expensive within a couple of years. All the signs are your bet would be correct. There is no way fossil fuels will remain as cheap as they are now in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Originally posted by agentzero View Post

It's steam.

Also, you do realise that oil won't be cheap forever, right? Fossil fuels will get more expensive through increased supply costs and increasing taxation. Wood is very inefficient to burn and generally releases more dirty emissions per unit of heat released than coal! Both are dirty ways of heating and you've really shown your ignorance by posting this rather pointless post

i can't imagine getting away from wood

it creates a beautiful heat

the fire is a beautiful feature

it's nicer to watch the fire than watch TV

stacking wood is a great activity

the wood pile is a sight to behold in the garden (I keep about 25 tons and burn about 9 tons a year on rotation)

it's very traditional

it has built in business continuity planning, nobody can switch it off

smoke coming from a chimney is always pleasant to see, it sends a clear signal, we're at home

we bake potatoes and stews and chestnuts in our fire place

and probably more good reasons :-)

my parents are more modern and have oil, their heating bill is sooooo low these days

what's not to like

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• agentzero
    replied
    Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
    There's 10 new executive sized homes (£800K+ in North Yorkshire) been built on a paddock behind my own mansion. I have a draughty property that benefits from a nice log burner in the living room to supplement the very efficient oil boiler neither of which I need on at the moment. These new homes are apparently super insulated and eco friendly with air source heat pumps. So on a warm afternoon (relative to the freezing temps over the weekend) why do I see these eco properties belching smoke from their show chimneys?
    It's steam.

Also, you do realise that oil won't be cheap forever, right? Fossil fuels will get more expensive through increased supply costs and increasing taxation. Wood is very inefficient to burn and generally releases more dirty emissions per unit of heat released than coal! Both are dirty ways of heating and you've really shown your ignorance by posting this rather pointless post.

Steam during the day from a heatpump is normal. Their high efficiency can result in water being heated for the tank at a sunny time of day, rather than during the night when the heat increase of the water required is far higher.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    my next door neighbour has a air heat pump, and it blows out steam from time to time

why do they do that ?

here at chateau Benes we stubbornly stick to gas and wood

Milan.
    At Vetran Villas we just burn used tenners!

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    my next door neighbour has a air heat pump, and it blows out steam from time to time

why do they do that ?

here at chateau Benes we stubbornly stick to gas and wood

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Maybe they're too hot due to excess efficiency and so are letting off steam
    I suspect it's more likely to be steam.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Maybe they're too hot due to excess efficiency and so are letting off steam

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    DrewG lives there and he is burning his spare PowerPoint pages?

£800k with that they could buy Hull!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    INKSPE. Earn some money, get a decent house and find out.

Leave a comment:

• tazdevil
    started a topic Chuffing Eco Homes

Chuffing Eco Homes

There's 10 new executive sized homes (£800K+ in North Yorkshire) been built on a paddock behind my own mansion. I have a draughty property that benefits from a nice log burner in the living room to supplement the very efficient oil boiler neither of which I need on at the moment. These new homes are apparently super insulated and eco friendly with air source heat pumps. So on a warm afternoon (relative to the freezing temps over the weekend) why do I see these eco properties belching smoke from their show chimneys?

Working...
X