• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To recline or not to recline?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To recline or not to recline?

Fight!

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...710fd32b7577cb

An intense 12-second clip has reignited a fierce debate about whether it is acceptable to recline your seat on a plane.

In the video posted to social media two passengers can be seen in a heated argument upon landing after a frustrated woman claimed another passenger had pushed her seat the entire flight.

“The whole trip she pushed my seat,” the fed-up American woman told a male passenger in the row behind. “You seen it. You know she did.”

Rising from her seat, the woman yelled repeatedly: “I’m allowed to put my seat back.”

The video, which is understood to have originally been posted on TikTok and re-emerged on X, formerly Twitter, on Thursday, has been viewed more than 8 million times.
    Ian Miles Cheong, who posted the video to the platform, wrote: “She’s allowed to put her seat back. You don’t get to kick it repeatedly just because you want more space.”

Many praised the woman for standing her ground.

“If the seat is reclinable, recline it,” one person wrote.

“You are allowed! Period! You want space in front of you instead of pushing the seat, buy a seat with extra space or get your ass to business class. Reclining was put there for a reason,” another said. That traveller added: “She was patient enough to wait till flight landed”.

But others claimed there was an unwritten rule that you should not recline your seat, especially on a short-haul flight.

Some travellers blamed the airlines and said they should scrap the ability to recline altogether.

“Putting your seat back in coach is an unspoken thing most people don’t do. It’s really the airline’s fault because they’ve made coach so cramped and tight that putting the seat back shouldn’t even be an option,” one person wrote.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

I was on Virgin flight to Vegas last month and the whole recline or not recline makes me anxious. Must admit I'm not a fan when they initially recline in front of me but it's rarely a biggie and forget it fairly quickly but I'm in tatters about reclining my own seat. I've probably read far too many of these articles to be fair. Outbound during day not so bad but thankfully nearly everyone reclined for the graveyard flight home.

My absolute f***ing bug bear is the stabbers using the touchscreen TVs. Now that does drive me absolutely nuts and have had to stand up and ask the person behind not to stab a few times over the years. A gentle positive press is all that's needed but some people feel the need to stab it quick and if that doesn't work stab it harder until it works and it's just dinking your seat everytime they do it. Worse if they are listening to music so they are off again every 5 mins once the track they want to listen to ends.

So the woman in the article is dicked off because the person behind is constantly kicking her seat them I'm all for the woman blowing off. I would assume the woman had a few gentle words asking her not to, then asked the flight attendants to intervene first rather than going stright up to gas mark 5. Someone kicking your seat for 8 hours on an overnight flight is just torture.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I just quickly glance behind before I recline. Just to make sure their not pouring something or suchlike.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Not had stabbers but had kids constantly kicking the backrest I just slam the seat back to coincide with the next kick and glare at the parent Otherwise if people recline the seat in front inappropriately I tend to simply push it back or wedge it so it can't recline or put something big and bumpy in the seat back pocket

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
          Not had stabbers but had kids constantly kicking the backrest I just slam the seat back to coincide with the next kick and glare at the parent Otherwise if people recline the seat in front inappropriately I tend to simply push it back or wedge it so it can't recline or put something big and bumpy in the seat back pocket
          How do you recline inappropriately? Wear your underpants on your head singing an exlicit rugby song and slam it backwards as violently as possible during meals?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

This could be an option to discourage excessive seat reclining

http://​​​​​​​https://avsax.com/news/how-an-aircraft-seat-crushed-a-mobile-phone-and-caused-a-lithium-battery-fire-on-board-a-british-airways-passenger-plane

Comment

Being 6'5" any passenger in front of me who reclines will have a hell of a time. I noticed it's the 5' ones who do it the most

Comment

how quaint people who turn right to get on board.

AYCOTBAC???
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

How do you recline inappropriately? Wear your underpants on your head singing an exlicit rugby song and slam it backwards as violently as possible during meals?
                  not everyone has "your style".
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I noticed in my frequent flying days that it was the ones that thought that they were entitled to recline but that did not know otherwise that were the worst offenders.
                    You never saw a business traveller doing it.
                    The recliners were the chavs mainly on the Spanish routes and on the LON-DUB route the parents who were being paid to fly over to the UK by their kids and who were the worst catholic priests best mate, note that this was also usually the first time that these people had been on a plane.
                    Former IPSE member
                    My Website

Comment

Working...
                    X